1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0102, "permanent"... 2012 w/ 190k, what am I looking at here & how to proceed?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by viciousthinker, Aug 23, 2020.

1. viciousthinker

viciousthinker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hi all... ok, my 2012 is hitting 190k, and has been showing code P0102 for a few months now, when it first was produced it was coupled with another MAF-related code (P0171?) that went away when I finally replaced the MAF sensor... yet P0102 won't go away... it doesn't even identify as 'Current', but 'Permanent'... I cleaned the entire EGR circuit recently (not sealed up but definitely had been getting there, the valve on the EGR side was totally coated but not sure if that indicates a sure lack of flow or not), but the P0102 persists, and my car always feels somewhat bogged down or held back, acceleration seems strained.

I watch my ICE coolant like a stalker, it has never gone any higher than 196 (according to Hybrid Assistant on my head unit), I have an OCC fitted, hopefully properly... last time I checked I found oil pooling in the intake again regardless, and the engine is to my ears too loud, somewhat clattery sounding? it never misfires, doesn't really drink much oil at all.

so... any suggestions as to where I should start in troubleshooting? I did plugs about 10k ago, did gearbox oil around 30k back, and as mentioned above EGR circuit was done w/in the last 3k... any tips would be very welcome, if I have another blown headgasket (my first third-gen went this route at 220k) I am officially done with Prii' for the foreseeable future, I am hoping that isn't the case though... thanks in advance all.

2. viciousthinker

viciousthinker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bump? Also meant to mention that no CEL is present, just the permanent P0102... I tried to banish it via Techstream yesterday but it was back literally within seconds..

3. Rathmon

Rathmon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you pulled the intake manifold and throttle body for a thorough cleaning? I haven't had that particular issue with my 3rd gen, but I recently cleaned a bunch of the intake and EGR systems. My 2nd gen had thrown a MAF error a couple times, and that just required cleaning the throttle body with MAF cleaner.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah the intake manifold has EGR passages. In particular one capillary passage at each port.