1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P010A and P0A80 Code same time on 05 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by naijo7, Mar 10, 2016.

1. naijo7

naijo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anyone have an idea about the problem and possible solution for this. I just don't want to jump ahead to replace the hybrid batteries right away. Can I still drive the car, some place people say it is okay to drive then eventually it would get weird...

ohhhh

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think you should be listening to those "some place people".

The car should not be driven, as the battery has failed and will not give you power when needed.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can contact Toyota for Goodwill assistance, but I doubt they will offer you any.
    1) 10years or 150,000 miles have been exceeded for the HV Battery warranty.
    2) Where was the majority of the maintenance performed? If not a Toyota dealership, additional compelling reasons to not offer assistance.

Now, if you were in the market for any new Toyota, I would negotiate the purchase price of the Toyota you want. Prior to signing the paperwork, pull out your last minute contingency: current purchase is contingent upon a complimentary NEW HV Battery installed in your current Prius. The dealership and Toyota would be hard pressed to let this sale go, over a few hundred dollars to each of them.

4. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tally another lost hybrid battery. Ours expired last night P0A80 (dealer pulled). It's evitable with cars of this vintage ours only has 90K on the odometer. The car had been bulletproof to this point. Time to swallow I guess.

Now what I'm finding out is that dealerships will not sell you the traction battery over the counter. I fully acknowledge the safety concerns involved as I have two degrees in Industrial Safety Management. Just another half hearted rant I guess of being extorted by the system and their attorneys. If I have to have a dealer install a new traction battery it will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $3200 USD.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are dealers that will sell over the counter. keep trying.

Be warned.....
    When you purchase a Toyota OEM battery it does not come fully assembled. You have to open it all the way up to where the modules are exposed. Wear safety gloves. Then you will need to move components from the old battery over to the new one.
    This is much different and more work than buying a fully assembled, rebuilt aftermarket pack.

I have rebuilt packs freight delivered all over the country. Toyota is not a fan of shipping the OEM packs without a high additional fee.
    If you have any questions, feel free to call.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't be afraid to ask Toyota USA for assistance if you have time. Especially I would say California as increasing enormous % of total hybrid sales. See threads on this.

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I never understood how stealerships are able to get away with that? I'm sure someone could challenge them in court and win.

Safety concers of electrocution are BS, IMO. They sell brake parts (esp pads & shoes) over the counter. Incorrectly installed brakes can result in the death of innocent bystanders as the vehicle is unable to stop. Death of one person vs many people.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Until some DIYer dies working on their battery. Imagine all the lawyers lining up with a lawsuit.
    Probably Toyota are going for no-one dying, not even one.

#8 dolj, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also wonder if some are concerned about backing up the warranty when it is installed by someone who was is trained or has not seen the assembly information.

10. naijo7

naijo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So, I change the 12V battery first to see what happens. after the new battery is in, all the warning lights didn't come up and I drove around the block, the hybrid battery is getting re-charged and working (seems significantly faster to charge and un-charge than before).

I did use the car for a few days then about 5 days after I try to drive the car and 3 lights came back, oh, no!!!!

Now I really have to deal with the hybrid battery...

#10 naijo7, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  11. naijo7

naijo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I will try to contact Toyota but I think it might be simpler to fix the hybrid battery myself, there are some good info online on how to do it.

12. naijo7

naijo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bought an 12V on eBay, putted in last week, all the trouble lights went away, but they came back today when I try to drive the car, now I think I have to deal with the hybrid battery... should be fun

13. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you are planning to replace the weak module(s), that is a short term repair. Do not expect it to last a long time.

14. naijo7

naijo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay, I think it is a good skill to learn and I plan to make a clear and comprehensive instruction video out of it. The only options I have is the dealer replacement or some 3rd party work, which I image should be the similar as what I can do with online tutorials. Any Suggestions. I think Toyota won't help me since I am not the original owner and I haven't been serving the car at the dealership.

15. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I place a premium on reliability and trouble free operation. When the HV Battery goes, I am already prepared to install a new HV Battery from a Toyota dealership that sells online.

Ask for nothing, get nothing. Maybe a previous owner had a lot of service done at a dealership? Its remotely possible, that Toyota just might give you a few bucks off a HV Battery replacement.

16. naijo7

naijo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I called 2 dealerships, one sold the car, one that is near me now, both didn't want to do anything about the situation, I ordered a multimeter and plan to take the hybrid battery now soon and still have to read up on how to balance the cells.

"Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat"

17. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You should buy a high voltage VOM (600 volts minimum) as well as low voltage, along with the Class 0 gloves. Pulling the HV battery is pretty easy but there is no sense in unintentionally hurting yourself or worse in your quest.

18. naijo7

naijo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the advice, I was planning on doing that before touching the internals. Will take your info to hardware store to get the right gloves, surprising I haven't caught anyone online/youtube mention this issue.

BTW, do you recommend any suitable glove online that I should take a look, it is actually a bit hard to find them in local hardware stores. Thanks.

#18 naijo7, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  19. naijo7

naijo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They said my car passed 10 year mark by 14 month, no luck on that one, getting the tools open the battery up myself.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't read all the battery/cell repair/replacement threads, so i'm not sure what everyone is doing for gloves. there is a lot of inherent danger in the high voltage, caution care and close attention are required. all the best!(y)

naijo7 likes this.