1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0117 and now P1121 Prius 2004 2nd gen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aryabasu, Jun 22, 2016.

1. aryabasu

aryabasu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,
    I have a 2004 Prius at 149K miles and I recently got these two codes one after the other.
    First, I got the high coolant temp sensor warning with the big exclamation on dashboard with the error code P0117 and check engine lights on.

After topping the radiator and the reservoir with the SLLC coolant( got a 1 Gallon one from the dealer), I am getting a new code P1121 and intermittent check engine lights and high coolant temp sensor warning (going on and off).

What should be my next steps?

Many thanks.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replace the 3 way coolant valve and the p1121 error will go away. DIY price is around $100 for the pump. I hope you didn't need to put much coolant into the radiator, as you'll most likely have to drain the coolant out to replace the pump.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. aryabasu

aryabasu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your input. Out of curiosity, is my engine at stake here while I drive around town doing chores? In other words, how critical is this issue with the 3 way coolant valve?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The p1121 doesn't affect much, maybe you'll not get cabin heat when you need it. You can drive around safely with that error. But your check engine light will remain on until it's fixed. This does not trigger the red triangle.

I'm unsure how safe it'll be driving with the p0117 error though. That is probably the cause of master warning light (red triangle).

6. aryabasu

aryabasu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see. Actually, my cabin heat is working properly as I have been trying to bleed the air (possible; not sure though) using the MAX HOT approach.

The P0117 only came last week and after pouring in the coolant, it is gone with P1121 in place now. The master red light warning as I said is tripping on and off while I drive.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You may want to check if you may possibly have a leak in the engine water pump. That's a general weak area in the Prius and that most likely is the cause of your low coolant.

If you don't want to change out the coolant when you replace your 3 way valve, just use clamps to pinch the 3 hoses while changing out the valve.

8. aryabasu

aryabasu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Can you tell me where usually the engine water pump is?

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When you stand in front of your engine, it'll be on the far left side. There's an engine belt and a pulley. That is the thing that drives the water pump. It's a very simple repair, and one you probably want to address at the same time as the 3 way valve....because you'll be draining coolant again.

You can tell if it's leaking or not by looking around the area for pinkish or whitish deposits. That's usually dried coolant that's leaked out.

10. aryabasu

aryabasu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great. Thanks for your input.

11. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How much coolant did you add? Definitely find that leak. Running low on coolant can harm the three way valve, I hear.

You can find threads and Youtube videos on how to bleed the engine coolant by running the CHRS pump. The easiest and most versatile way is to buy a MiniVCI cable for $25 and use an old laptop with it. You also need a small tube from the radiator bleeder valve to the filler neck.

12. aryabasu

aryabasu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I added almost the whole gallon. It turns out my drive belt was broken and that was causing all the rest of the problems. I have driven my car for more than 20 miles now and I have not seen any warning lights come up.

Thanks.

13. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You may still want to go through the bleeding process. The CHRS may have air in it, which will eventually cause that electric pump to fail. You may notice cavitation (screeching) sounds at cold start-up and at shut down. You still should consider replacing the three-way valve, too. Intermittent problems with that valve are very common, and now that it's been dry at least once it will probably fail soon. That could leave you without cabin heat, and will definitely negate the operation of the CHRS.

14. aryabasu

aryabasu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Andrew, The problem was a broken serpentine drive belt. That's it.

Thanks.