1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0171 code and fuel gauge went from half to 1 blinking bar instantly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Shavisno, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Shavisno

Shavisno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    3x after fueling up the gauge does go to full but I get about 200 miles and then it goes from a half tank mark to empty in a blink of an eye and goes right to empty with 1 bar blinking. Again add about 4-5 gallons and all seems good.

I recently had my 2007 Prius in the shop to diagnose why I could only put 4 gallons of gas in my tank with the fuel gauge blinking.

Toyota dealership told me this problem is common. They said the ECU just needs to be reflashed because the bladder has a tendency to shrink and expand with the changing seasons from hot and cold the computer needs a reset to get back to a base line for the amount of fuel gauge you can put in during summer the bladder can finally stretch more. I got it home and this time I got it to get up to about 300 miles and same thing happened just slightly under a half tank this time and then plummeted to 1 bar blinking. And got 6 gallons in it this time.

Just prior to the above the check engine light came on with a p0171 (i reset TDC).

Anyone ever have tis happen or a variety of the above happen?

2. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    P0171 should have nothing to do with your gas gauge; you can look that up here for fixes and such.

A good starting spot for your gauge could be a recalibration. It requires a very level surface but isn't complicated, and can be done with no equipment. You can look up the procedure on here also.

SFO likes this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A