1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0300, then a week later P0304

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MrJamtastic, Sep 7, 2020.

1. MrJamtastic

MrJamtastic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    2007 Base, 165,000 miles. About a week ago right after start up CEL came up, showing a P0300 code, random misfire. Engine ran rough,and after about 1 minute smoothed out. Cleared code and went on my merry way. I drive about 100 miles a day. Started up normally every day until yesterday, same startup scenario, rough start CEL and a P0304 code. Cleared code and it’s running smoothly. Coil pack? Plug wires? Spark plugs Iridium, changed at 135,000 miles so believe they must be fine MPG still averaging 48-50. I’m baffled! Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow 100 miles a day.

Sometimes a random misfire is vibration in the engine from lower bearing damage. That vibration distorts the timing pulses between the crank/cam sensors. But looks like it now sees cylinder #4.

You may have oil in the spark plug well now fouling out a cop from failed valve cover gasket.
    Very very common. Found oil in my 07 at 110,000 miles. It was not high enough to foul but if I didn't change the gasket out it may have eventually fouled that cop. Found it with a borescope before pulling the plug.

Failed coil pack on a G2 is easy to see it makes a loud racket like a blown engine. Buy an oem cop see if it fixes it.

How much oil does the car use?

How many times has the car run so low on engine oil it lit the check engine dash light?

How often do you check the oil?

Attached Files:

3. MrJamtastic

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Typically uses about a quart of oil every 2000 miles I guess, but I check the level at least once a week and keep it topped up. I have never had a CEL or warning indicator from low oil. As I indicated, this CEL 0300, followed then 0304 a week later has only happened once and only on start up. Afterwards it appears to be running smooth. I will inspect the plug well and the cop. Your suggestion to replace the valve cover gasket has been noted. Is this a simple procedure or something better to have a mechanic do? Thanks for your help!

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    cool your aware of the oil situation. See so many people that are not. I would be running 10-40 weight oil it wont hurt your mpg but will slow down the oil loss.

On mine I was thinking it may need a gasket so that's why i looked in the well its really common issue with 4 bangers.
    Its easy hard part like the plugs is getting to it have to take the windshield dam off which is a good too so you can clean out the debris in the dam area and flush out the water vents.

Then just unbolt the cover and clean it up put some gasket sealant on the edge by the chain and put it back on.

You may find when you take the pcv hoses off the ends are cracked too and leaking so probably 2 new pcv hoses and you have the cover off so replace the pcv valve while the cover is off its really easy then.

The hoses make a hard right angle turn so you have to but the factory hoses. Straight after market hoses don't work well

5. MrJamtastic

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I replaced the PCV about 3 months ago, blowback was obvious on the air filter. That was a PITA! I’ve always run Penzoil Maxlife 0-20, but next change will try conventional 10-40! Looking at the engine from the front of the car, which cylinder is #4? Any other advice greatly appreciated!

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its last one on drivers side. yes the pcv valve is pia! Much easier if you happen to take the valve cover off for the gasket.

0-20 oil is way to thin for that mileage motor that's already eating oil.

I never ran 0-20 since i bought it new could be why my car does not eat oil. Its run 5-30 since birth.

It will like 5-40. It will really quiet the motor down too. Get a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 5-40. $24.95 Put good oil in it you drive the hell out of that car. I see your in Vt you may have to move it back to 5-30 weight next oil change with winter coming.

BTW-I'm from Ludlow my family had a summer house in Plymouth Notch since the 60's. I have lived in Arlington & Bennington too.

Loved it up there but what the hell is the deal with property taxes up there now my god........lol...

#6 edthefox5, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  7. MrJamtastic

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Small world isnt it? We live in Rupert where there are still more cows than people! In a house built in 1777! Our taxes with the Homestead deduction are about 1400/yr. Not bad really.
    There is a hybrid garage over in Saratoga Springs. Think I’ll take it there as I’d like to get ALL the fluids replaced and the serpentine belt replaced too and whatever else they recommend. Recently did a load test on the traction battery, checked out at 65%, fair condition, so I think it should last a few more years.. Last fall I had the entire suspension rebuilt/replaced. Rides like a dream now. Love this little car and hope to keep it on the road for awhile!

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like to dream and maybe go back up there and go on NEREN quite often. Wow so many monster
    $800 to Million + dollar homes especially around Ludlow Okemo and Woodstock is still prettiest town in the USA.

Ludlow like Bridgewater was a mill town in the late 60’s. I see Queechie Gorge got wiped out from Irene out fr shame that’s a cool place with the glass blowing artisan shop. Hope it’s back up.

Met a couple down here a while ago from Rutland they said it has a bad drug problem now that’s a shame.

Have you ever been to the Norman Rockwell museum in Arlington very cool.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What spark plugs did you install at 135k miles and where did you purchase them? If you bought them from Amazon or eBay, at what seemed like a really good deal, they were likely counterfeit and are at end of life.

Denso SK16R11 is the original for Gen 2. I believe they also used one other brand but it slips my mind right now. Unfortunately, the Denso's are highly counterfeited.

A thread with the counterfeit discussion here if you're interested. It's good reading.

Spark plugs | PriusChat

#9 TMR-JWAP, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    edthefox5 likes this.
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NGK IFR5A11.

I agree most likely counterfeit. My brother had the same, he thought he'd got a good deal on genuine Densos. They looked like the real deal but only lasted 20,000 miles.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes Denso only:

Here's the part numbers of what was in my 07 from the factory and what I used to do my plugs and all 4 cops 40,000 miles ago. Runs perfect.

Olathe Toyota Parts Online.

One time years ago Olathe actually called me back once before they shipped a part I needed as I had ordered the wrong year for my car got that part number off this site lol....

Attached Files:

#11 edthefox5, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  12. MrJamtastic

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Problem solved. It turns out the coil had failed. Plug was also fouled from no consistent spark. New coil and plug. Right back to normal! PS...I don’t run Denso plugs.

13. MrJamtastic

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III

14. MrJamtastic

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Hi Ed,
    Problem solved. The coil had failed. Intermittent ignition on that cylinder. Fouled spark plug. Both replaced and 350 miles later, running quiet and smooth! Back to 50mpg on the clock...till winter I wanted to thank you for your insight and advice to possible causes, so thank you! Will try the 5-30 next oil change or November 1sr, whichever comes first. Good advice. Thanks

edthefox5 likes this.
  15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do tell :coffee:

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius