1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0301 Blown Head Gasket Bar's leak and still losing coolant

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by boomboomboom, Jun 13, 2020.

1. boomboomboom

boomboomboom New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2011 Prius 160k miles. I got the dreaded P0301, P0302, codes and was losing coolant and having the morning rough starts/white smoke. 1 month ago I put in half a bottle of Bar's leak and that completely stopped the rough starts/white smoke, but I'm still losing the same amount of coolant just like before I added the Bar's leak (about 12 ounces every 2 weeks).

Should I add another half bottle of Bar's leak? I'm worried that I might clog/ruin something if I keep trying to add more bar's leak to fix additional leaks. The car is running great right now and I just add coolant about once every 2 weeks. I would appreciate anyone's advice, I'm not exactly sure what I should do. Thanks

2. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That doesnt mean you have a blown head gasket. You might need to replace your spark plugs or coils. Maybe run some fuel system cleaner in the gas tank. The prius does use up coolant but maybe take a look at your waterpump. How cold was it when you saw the white smoke?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles on it?

VERY likely failed head gasket, you could try leak down test to confirm.

To clean out the goop in the coolant flushing with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water may work. Test on some of the goop first, to see if it's worthwhile.

Better clean intake manifold and Exhaust Gas Recirculation too.

Tim Jones likes this.
  4. boomboomboom

boomboomboom New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What do you think is the problem? I thought all of those symptoms equals a blown hg. I will try all the things you suggested just to make sure. When I had the white smoke about a month ago it was about 50-60 F, and the shaking of the engine went away within 5-10 seconds. I assumed the shaking of the engine was caused by the coolant burning off in the cylinder.

160k miles. I think it is a head gasket also, like the video said "P0301 plus morning shakes it is always a head gasket"
    Do you think I should replace the head gasket or do a engine swap for a low miles engine? It seems like they are around the same price.

#4 boomboomboom, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2020
  5. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A lot of prius cars do the cold start shake. I would worry of you have constant white smoke the whole time you drive and idle.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a thread by @The Critic, he did head gasket, but mostly DIY, except sending the head out to a machine shop for inspection, cleaning, and (I think?) seal replacement. Toyota makes a kit, the head gasket, valves seals, and pretty much every gasket/seal on the engine. The part number's in the attachment.

I believe he does a cost breakdown, along a few pages. And he really went high end, replacing the head bolts (which is likely good practice), and full machine shop treatment.

And a thread by @Ragingfit (with 15 videos!), putting a fourth gen engine into third gen (a Prius v, but the process is pretty much the same). Doing a third gen swap would be similar, actually less complicated. Trouble with 3rd gen engines, they seem to be getting harder to find, are pricier, and tend to be a lot higher miles, hardly worthwhile.

Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v | PriusChat

Attached Files:

#6 Mendel Leisk, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Tim Jones and Raytheeagle like this.