1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0301. Replaced coil & spark plug, now it's returned.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SicilianDragon, May 1, 2021.

1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Head gasket issues on early gen3s are well known among dealer mechanics in our area and they always recommend a rebuilt replacement engine. Which on early gen3s is not cost effective resulting in trade ins or independent shops getting the work. Best to handle it early recognizing that 2010-13 have poorly designed piston rings which are clearly adding to the hg frequency. Which we have not seen often in 2015-17 gen3s with the same egr and intake manifold designs.

#21 rjparker, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Grit and Tim Jones like this.
  2. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Got a call from Toyota that the brake pump is supposed to be in Thursday. That will be two weeks that they have had the car.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    take notes prospective posters who heard lots of good things about a prius and is in the market to buy one.

Tim Jones likes this.
  4. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    your back to Grandpa......or did it ever change... think I might be having a senior moment.....

5. SicilianDragon

SicilianDragon New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmmm...I'll check around if necessary. Again, since there's no leak and the coolant was still full, I'm not at all sure the HG needs to be replaced. If it does, I have a hard time believing I couldn't find someone to do it for less than that--especially if I bought the part myself.

I do know a mechanic in LA who does extremely discounted work. I can ask him what he would charge for it and post what he says.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota sells a kit that includes the head gasket, and pretty much every other gasket, o-ring and seal you’ll encounter in the process, for around $200~250. Also the head bolts can be bought, maybe around $100 in total? The latter can be checked against spec and reused if ok, but might be best to use new since so much is riding on it.

part no for both is in a 3rd gen TSB regarding oil consumption repair. I can dig it up if you need.

SicilianDragon likes this.
  7. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So your saying the car has not lost any water? If it stays at the same mark I doubt it's the head gasket.

SicilianDragon and Grit like this.
  8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not losing significant coolant often means its early in the process. Having a proper diagnosis done (leak down test) could save thousands later.

This is a major job with lots of pitfalls for the inexperienced. Which includes many mechanics.

Some have the head gasket changed only to find the piston rods were damaged and its do over time. One guy here had it replaced three times before it was right. We saw one owner out of LA decide he would diy and it took several months, a replacement engine and several do overs.

When gasketmasters change a head gasket in hours, they replace the head with a rebuilt one ready to go. They have whatever they need ready to go. Cleaning the egr alone takes hours. Your cheap guy will skip that step. The danger of waiting is the job changes from a headgasket and head to a rebuilt replacement engine. A rebuilt engine updates the pistons, a major upgrade but the cost jumps to $3500-$7500 with the high end being a dealer.

$1100 for a proper head gasket job on a 2013 Prius would be an amazing deal.

#28 rjparker, May 5, 2021
    Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Tim Jones likes this.
  9. SicilianDragon

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks
    Thanks...that's what I was hypothesizing too, but thought it might be wishful thinking, since so many people are saying "head gasket." The coolant was just barely below the "full" mark when I checked it, and I know there's no leak.

10. SicilianDragon

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, appreciate it.

Sounds like it might not be the head gasket, but might as well have the link just in case...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. SicilianDragon

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So if we go with the theory that it's not the head gasket, and replacing the spark plug & ignition coil didn't work, what would you recommend as the next step? Just an EGR flush?

12. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would you like to explain how poor piston ring design contributed to head gasket failure?
    The 15-17’s are just not old enough yet for the failures to appear. I know a few techs who have already done 14’s and 15’s that are high mileage.

Tim Jones, Raytheeagle and Tigr like this.
  13. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Carbon that clogs everything and causes preignition. Combined with thermal cycling and poor block to head port design.

Does not help when you get multiple complaints a day, often in the same minute.
    A3E1E8AF-07A0-489D-8B78-D3811C28488F.jpeg

14. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Has the car ever shook at startup. That is pretty much the clue that the HG is leaking into the cylinder.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In this posting there’s a couple of TSB’s attached. The one with suffix 169 lists the gasket kit and head bolt part no’s.

16. SicilianDragon

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, but mildly...not physically noticable; only something I can feel with my foot on the brake.

So you think this means it's the HG after all? And if it's leaking, this means the replacement does need to be done; there's no middle-ground, correct?

17. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Have you checked the oil. Any white or chocolate colors? How many miles have you put on to see if the antifreeze is low?
    Your probably screwed............ : (

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I keep thinking you’ve had leak down test, but no mention of it? Either way, look into that; it’s pretty much definitive for HG analysis, how much and where/how it’s leaking.

SicilianDragon likes this.
  19. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You may want to check on getting a replacement engine. They get them from Japan.and are around $1000 with lower miles.....

20. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So your going to need a traction battery, water pump and a ac compressor...... ouch.............................