1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0401 code after cleaning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by refusedone, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Seymour1

Seymour1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

2. Seymour1

Seymour1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Enging banging when turning ICE off.
    Maybe I should start a new thread, but my problem is close. I get the P0401 code and have cleaned the IM, EGR valve, cooler and pipes. I still got the P0401 code, but now after starting 6 times (no driving), there is a new problem; the engine bangs (like shaking a tin bucket with rocks in it). Also, when the engine is running, it surges up and down in speed. When cleaning the IM, I sprayed harsh chemicals (brake cleaner or carb cleaner) into IM while the MAP sensor was not removed. Others have posted about a spring and manget in the EGR valve. I did not notice a spring in mine. I cannot find a pic of the spring or where it goes.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Checking my record pics, see two springs. I believe that one lying on the paper drops on, then the cap:

upload_2024-6-5_11-26-54.png
    The rest of the batch attached:

Attached Files:

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    All I can tell you is I took mine apart and I was looking for the little ramp business and all this stuff that's supposed to break not work etc All I know is I could turn on those threads and the valve would open and close but when it was closed water still leak through one side to the other so it wasn't fully closed I put mine back together the car still shook did all the business I ordered a brand new one updated part etc etc still shakes acts up does whatever it's a lot better but still this is a replacement engine and a replacement transmission that both look a lot better than what I took out I have pretty much given up I fool around with the Persona every few weeks I started let it run put it in drive and floor it let the battery charge turn it off and leave it sitting pulling the engine out and all this stuff is not an option again I have four running generation twos that require none of these antics The car doesn't interest me that much I can just write it off to garbage basically everybody wants to come by and give me $2,000 for it with all the stuff that goes with it and says they can have it fixed in a few hours at some point I may let somebody give that a whirl just to see but I don't think so All this electronic control module changing and so on and so forth I have no reason to believe that this car needs any of that The codes reported are none and that's another kind of a kicker I have no misses no misfires no nothing engine running as smooth as glass even while the rattling is going on engines running perfectly there's no misses nothing oh well