1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0420 Code Solved

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by timespell, Mar 17, 2020.

1. timespell

timespell Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2008 Toyota Prius, Like many here, I had the impossible dreaded P0420 Code. This is what I tried that did not solve this problem:

1. Changed both the upstream air/fuel sensor (a bitch to replace) and the down stream o2 sensor-no luck

2. cleaned the air/fuel sensor on the air box and cleaned the throttle body and air box! No luck!

3. Changed the spark plugs, and still no luck!

Every time I did something and reset, the p0420 would come back on after about 35 miles 3 times.

Finally gave up and went for an aftermarket Cat converter. What is interesting is that I live in NY State, which has adopted the California emissions standards. And that means you can't install an unapproved aftermarket Cat. And most aftermarket cat companies will not ship aftermarket cats to NY. I checked the NYS law and yupper that is right. So I went on ebay and found a company from Canada (First Choice Exhausts). Their 2nd Generation cat went for $108, plus $9.99 shipping and freaking 8% tax for a total cost of $128.50. And lucked out as they not only shipped it to me, it took only 4 days, evidently shipped out of Niagara Falls.

Anyways, took it to my mechanic who installed it pretty easily. First he removed the o2 sensor. Then he removed the bolts to the exhaust manifold, and cut off the old cat from the resonator and removed the spring bolts dropping the cat out. He slide the pipe from the new cat into the pipe to the resonator, placed the new exhaust seal on to the manifold, and bolted on the spring bolts. He then screwed the o2 sensor on. Rather then using the new pipe clamp, he did me a favor and welded the two pipes together. He lowered the car and I started it and no leaks -no problems. I erased the P0420 code. I have now driven the car over 400 miles and no check engine light. So obviously, the main problem with the P0420 code was the bad cat. This cat not only has a 5-year warranty, but is EPA approved.

Hope this info is of value to all you experiencing that dreaded #*%^@ P0420 Code!

I should mention that about 8 months ago, I was experiencing the P0420 code, but rather go through all the BS of spending money to try and solve the problem, I opted to buy one of those o2 sensor extenders. And that actually kept the P0420 code from coming back on until recently. That extender only cost $6.50 with free shipping. We are talking the downstream o2 sensor. So, if you want to go cheap and not F around with the cat, give the extender a try! Very easy installation you can find on youtube.

kenoarto, Arsl and anonymous like this.
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Title says p0240 maybe you could fix that.

P0420 is a bad catalytic converter most of times. By checking the signals from air-fuel ratio sensor and oxygen sensor (and some other live data) bad part can be identified. But if you (or mechanic) doesn't want to spend time to determine the faulty part just replace the catalytic is an option especially if you can use a cheaper aftermarket catalytic converter.

kenoarto likes this.
  3. timespell

timespell Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK, I found out how to change the title! Thanks for bringing it to my attention! :)

4. atown636

atown636 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ive been using a Ultragauge to monitor engine stat.s, it has an option for viewing O2 info, if i remember correctly, i believe it gives voltage readout for each O2 sensor. what is a good reading, and what would be one that would lead you to believe you would need to replay the O2 sensor?

5. timespell

timespell Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mine was just doing the cheap thing first when the P0420 code came on. What is interesting is that prior to this, about a year ago, the P0420 code began rearing its ugly head. So rather than going through all the BS of trying to solve the problem, I bought an o2 sensor extender, screwed that in and screwed the o2 sensor into the extender. erased the code and never came back on until recently. The o2 sensor was totally black with carbon build up, as was the extender. Replaced with a new o2 sensor without the extender (which was pretty rusty anyways) and erased the code, but came back on after around 35 miles. Erased the code once more and the same happened. That is why I finally gave up and bought an aftermarket cat. once installed, erased the code, and now have driven over 400 miles and no check engine light! :)

kenoarto, Omarpant and anonymous like this.
  6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's not that easy. You can probably find a lots of writing and videos about how to look at these. The way to look at them is same for all cars that have sensors before and after catalytic converter. In a Prius and many other cars the front sensor is air-fuel ratio type so that will need to be taken into account.

What you can easily do is to first check the fuel trims first. Long should be between -10...+10%. If it's not you need to figure that out first.
    Then you can check short term if only fluctuates couple of percent when under constant conditions you likely have a good front air-fuel ratio sensor.
    Then you can check the rear sensor it should have average voltage of about 0,45...0,65V just look at it and think the average in your head. Also with rear sensor you would need to check how it responds to change in running conditions and maybe how fast it starts working.
    For catalytic converter you would be looking at how fast the rear sensor is responding (slower is better but too slow is probably bad sensor). In a Prius you can also check the catalytic converter storage capacity if that's low and steady you probably do have bad catalytic converter.

#6 valde3, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  7. timespell

timespell Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The upstream air/fuel sensor was already replaced a few months ago. This cat had about 220,000 miles in it. And nothing kept the P0420 code off short of a new cat which is working fine. My 2004 Prius had the same problem, so I used a cheater o2 extender so I could pass inspection. The extender worked great. This time I decided to do away with the P0420 nightmare with the new cat.

No codes anymore. But am thinking of getting 4 new ignition coils to go along with the new Iridium plugs I just installed. This time I went with the Denso #4701 Iridium TT (IK16TT) spark plugs and they work great!

kenoarto likes this.
  8. Omarpant

Omarpant New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi timespell how is the first source brand catalytic converter holding?
    Have u get the po420code back?

9. AKoffgrid

AKoffgrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are there any symptoms for bad cat/clogged cat other than the code ?

Thanks,

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can have a catalytic converter that's ineffective but doesn't restrict exhaust flow. That will pretty much only set a P0420 code.

A cat that's clogged with carbon or severely overheated and broken up internally will restrict exhaust. 1st symptom is reduced engine power and performance, lower mpg's. The engine "runs out of breath" at higher throttle and won't rev very high. Can also start misfiring as things get worse.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.