1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. calabrsn

calabrsn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    2009 with 215,000 miles. Just got check a P0420 code. Searching through the forum it appears it's most likely the CAT. Is there a way for me to reset to remove the code. I would like to see if the code quickly reappears or if it was just a sporadic reading, (yeah, I know, just hoping).

2. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Remove the cable from the 12v battery negative terminal for a few minutes, that'll clear the codes...

I don't know if Scotty Kilmer's recommendation would apply to a Prius, but this is an interesting video anyways....

#2 Dino33ca, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    P0420 =
    • Gas leakage in exhaust system. [Assuming no hole in exhaust system, which you would likely hear.]
    • Air/Fuel sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) [Some have replaced this sensor.]
    • Heated oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor 2) [Some have replaced the O2 sensor before and after the Cat Converter.]
    • Three-way catalytic converter (exhaust manifold) [If the above three, doesn't eliminate CEL, then this is likely culprit.]
    Start ruling things out before replacing the catalytic converter.

EDIT: I forget if there is a way to test the sensors? IE, w/ a DVM testing for resistance, continuity, etc...

#3 exstudent, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Dino33ca likes this.
  4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How much oil is your car consuming? How much does the oil level in dipstick drop between oil change? Or do you have to top it up (how much)? What interval do you change the oil?

There is couple of different ways to test oxygen or air/fuel ratio sensors but since you have no code about the sensor those works good enough to pass those tests. They might work just bad enough to cause the code or they might be ok. Sometimes you can look at the live data and know from it that the problem has to be with front or back sensor, or catalytic converter.

5. calabrsn

calabrsn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Change oil every 10,000 miles with synthetic. It's consuming about 1 qt oil every 5000 miles. Perhaps a little more lately.

How many Cats does the prius have? I see 3 cylindrical shaped sections in the exhaust in addition to the muffler. Which one(s) is the Cat?

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bently book points to the two cylindrical shapes, closest to the engine as, two TWC (Three Way Catalysts). It makes no reference to the third cylindrical shape.

A genuine OEM bolt on replacement portion w/ the Cats is $1325 from Camelback Toy (Phoenix, AZ). There would be a shipping fee b/c of the odd size. 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping
    You should Internet search other Toy dealers who sell on-line, as they might be cheaper (or price match), and possibly located closer to you.

I remember reading some people going salvaged or a generic universal replacement. Don't know how well these two parts worked for those individuals.

7. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I wouldn't want to use an aftermarket cat unless I didn't plan to keep the car. maybe a low mileage junk yard cat would be a better choice.

8. calabrsn

calabrsn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Put in some fuel injector cleaner. Check engine light went off after next start. Hasn't come back on for over a week. Don't know if cleaner had anything to do with it or the light would have went off on it's own anyway.

Dino33ca likes this.
  9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That probably is a resonator to help shape the exhaust sound.

10. maverick1970

maverick1970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also have the P0420. I removed both O2 sensors and cleaned them hoping that would help but it didn't. May I ask that someone be able to take a look at this video and tell me what you think? I am not sure of the sequence between the RPMs and the voltage measurements. So me it would appear something is wrong but can't pin point it. I have a P0420 code. See attached of the actual code from Techstream. I want to find out if my issue is potentially with a sensor and not the CAT.

Top graph is engine RPMs
    Middle graph is AF Sensor
    Bottom graph is O2 Sensor

11. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Interesting, keep us updated. I've heard that a product called guaranteed to pass by CRC works sometimes at cleaning up the cat.

12. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are two catalytic converters and a resonator.

Most states don't allow the sale of used catalytic converters except for scrap so finding a salvage yard to sell one is difficult unless you can find a private seller parting one out.

I just sold two old/bad catalytic converters for scrap and got $ 210 each set ($125 for the first bigger one and $85 for second smaller EA6 one)

I have used these before with good results. Actually just ordered two more.
    Magnaflow 99205HM | eBay

These are not legal in California.

You can replace either one and it is enough to upgrade efficiency to clear P0420 code. It makes sense to replace the bigger one because the scrap value is higher. Find a local muffler shop to cut out old and weld in new. Make sure you get your old one back. I usually pay $50 labor.

I have never had one come back yet. I have been using them for over two years and have probably had 15-20 installed.

I am in Florida which is probably a better environment for catalytic converter life. Most of the cats I have had to replace were from cars from the north.

Dino33ca likes this.
  13. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks TampaPrius. Would it make any sense to replace both? I wonder if their would be any performance gain.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like that you can cut out the old/bad cat and still get over $100. cool

15. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't bother.

Performance gain? No, it will still be a Prius.

Dino33ca likes this.
  16. maverick1970

maverick1970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What he said.

17. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Does the p042 code cause open loop operation?

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going to try one of these aftermarket cats from Magnaflow. See how long it'll last on an engine that burns about a quart every 1500miles

19. calabrsn

calabrsn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just took it into dealer for P0420 code that has been coming on and off for about 6 months. They claim they have ruled out other sensors and it does need a Cat replacement. Quoted ~$2000 for part. I would like to consider an aftermarket Cat but hear many mixed reviews that they may not last long. Would like to get another 1 -2 years out of this car. Any recommendations?

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Magnaflow 99205HM Universal Catalytic Converter