1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. itseric

itseric New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The mother in law has made some stupid decisions which I was against and now I have to keep this miserable POS for another couple years to recoup the costs that she spent on it.. I was wondering if anyone knows if out of CA catalytic converters work or will pass CA smog? I have friends from out of state so I suppose I could always order one and have it shipped over to them and they could ship it over to my place..

Or if anyone has a used one here that they would be willing to sell to me then it'd be greatly appreciated. The car isn't worth the amount that it would cost for a new CA compliant converter obviously lol.

Thanks!

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Spend $350 bucks and get a complete bolt in aftermarket cat assembly (48 state) from ebay. Have it mailed to your friends. Drive there and install it. Very, very easy. Can be done in less than an hour. Look at your original assembly, if it is original Toyota, one converter will be stamped GD3 and the other stamped EA6. Cut the pipes off and sell the 2 catalytic converters as a pair on ebay for $600.

kenoarto, m.wynn, douglasjre and 2 others like this.
  3. Cole2005

Cole2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm in the same boat regarding the 0420 code. Has anyone change out the upstream o2 and you didn't have any more issue? I have 196000 miles and it doesn't burn any oil. The code came on today and the car is running good.

kenoarto likes this.
  4. Priuslover09

Priuslover09 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It’s a Catalytic converter system it’s need to be fixed with a mechanic.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ???.....This makes no sense at all. Perhaps you should refrain from providing misguided advice. It makes the situation more difficult and confusing for the poster asking questions.

P0420-Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
    1. Gas leakage in exhaust system
    2. A/F Sensor (bank 1 sensor 1)
    3. Heated oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor 2)
    4. Three-way catalytic converter
    sensor 1 is the one mounted in the exhaust manifold between the engine and first cat (upstream cat)
    sensor 2 is the one mounted between the upstream and downstream cat.

So yes, this code can very easily be caused by the sensor mentioned in post 3.

Here's the DTC Guide for that code.....

Attached Files:

kenoarto, EvanM and ydpplqbd like this.
  6. itseric

itseric New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't post the link because I haven't made enough posts..

but when I look up on eBay 2006 prius catalytic converter. The top result is one that's going for around $125. It says direct fit bolt on, but then I also see another item on sale that looks like it includes more piping for around $256

7. yi3o8

yi3o8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You could always try a bottle of cata clean and drive it hard with quarter tank until close to e. Then fill up on premium. It's worked for me in the past.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

kenoarto and tallman like this.
  8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    p0420 has hidden humor. Does anybody know what it is? I never did any drugs of any kind, but I read alot and know what 420 means. This is funny...

Did you know Palladium (catalyst) more than gold? About $2k/oz

9. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    BTW: high flashpoint solvent in a bottle doesn't fix a Palladium catalyst. Does anybody know if it's cations or anions that electroplate the palladium?

10. Natalie Opsahl

Natalie Opsahl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What would happen if you kept driving and clearing that code P0420? Because I can't fix it now. But I've had worse gas mileage for a couple months.

11. eljefino

eljefino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Out of CA converters are supposed to flunk smog visual examination if they don't have the OE engravings.

I have a new generic ebay cat that passes OBD-II. My 2006's emissions label claims 50-state compliance, so the computer should be calibrated same as yours.

If you get the job done, the scrap value of the old cat will more than pay for the new one, so you're ahead of the game.

A spark plug anti-fouler on the rear oxygen sensor also works for OBD-II, but could fail the smog visual exam.

kenoarto likes this.
  12. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    P0420 code comes on for me on my Gen2 when I fail to timely empty catch can (aftermarket install of catch can between PCV valve and throttle plate). Catch can catches spoils that include oil mist, unburned fuel and water condensation. I need to empty 5oz catch can every 1500 miles.

#12 ydpplqbd, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    kenoarto likes this.