1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0420 intermittent check engine light.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Adam W, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello, my check engine light comes on and off every 70 miles or so I.e on for 70, off for 70, then back on. Been like this for past few months. When I checked the engine code it’s the Po420 lower bank catalyst efficiency. Several years ago my CC was stolen along w/ the O2 sensor. I had both replaced with aftermarket items. I live in Ca. Wondering if internment check engine light points to bad O2 or the CC. My ride runs a little rougher when the check engine light is on and a bit smoother when off. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Which device and or app are you currently using to read the stored OBD2 codes?
    If throwing parts at the car, you might start with a new OEM/Denso upstream A/F sensor, as that aftermarket sensor could be acting up.

How many miles are on the vehicle currently?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Often after market cats don’t pass your cars computer checks.

Adam W likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With some exception, they don't install aftermarket cats in California due to state law, so that's likely not the issue. But taking car back to shop that did the work would be wise to see what they say...

Separate from that first thing I'd do with this one is find out where the vehicle is in relation to 100K mile tune up with new spark plugs, air filter, MAF sensor cleaning, throttle body cleaning and 12v reset to see if that cleans up the problem. Then if that didn't work I'd clean and inspect O2 sensor and if that didn't work I'd replace the sensor because the replacement cat is still new, I'd not be suspicious of that being the source.

#4 PriusCamper, Jun 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  5. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Its the Motopower OB2 sensor # MP69033 - real basic. I have about 87k miles.

6. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I my worked fine for about 8k miles. The first sensor put in threw up the code and check engine light. Then the guy replaced with a different one which he had to splice into my current wiring harness. Recently I took that all apart, re-twisted and e taped the wires to make sure nothing got loose. That didn’t help. Idk the fact it’s interment, was hoping that pointed in a particular direction.

7. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update … check engine light went off after 10 miles this time. I ran the OBD scanner and got 2 error codes - the P0420 and now a P0101. Checked my air filter and it’s clean which was just replaced. Also noticed a brief plum of exhaust when I stepped on the gas this morning but have been unable to replicate that.

8. 2010moneypit?

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The only reason why I said aftermarket cat sometimes fail is because he said they used one. I know they live in California but, there’s ways to get aftermarket cats still.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well... California now sells an aftermarket cat in the near $1K range that passes smog inspection. So it's possible that it is a legit cat.

As for aftermarket cats failing at an early age, do you have any references? I'm on Priuschat every day and I have yet to see anyone posting about how their aftermarket cat failed earlier than expected. If I did find out about that I'd be very concerned and want to know about it. So if you have any references I'm eager to find out.

tangerino likes this.
  10. 2010moneypit?

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I have read on here several times about people getting the P0 420 light on from installing a aftermarket cat. Also coming from a Smog technician standpoint there are less precious metals in the aftermarket cats. The aftermarket cats do not clean up emissions as well as a factory ones. I cannot show you the data because I do not have pictures of the smog machine showing us. So I guess you could just call it my opinion because I don’t have proof to show you. Probably a reason that the thieves do not steal aftermarket cats as often is because of the fact that there’s not as many precious metals in them.

I guess an exception would be a carb approved cat. I believe magna flow makes one for California.

11. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I do have an aftermarket CAT and it’s not from Maganaflow.

I ran the scanner again and got another code P0172 (in addition to the P0420 & P0101). The latest code came up without my check engine light on. My dashboard did that thing where it goes blank but I had checked for codes after it came back on and the P0172 code wasn’t there nor was the service light. I cleaned my mass air flow sensor last night and reset the codes. Hopefully that will help.

#11 Adam W, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  12. 2010moneypit?

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I believe the P0172 code is a running lien code. It might be related to cleaning the mass airflow. See what codes come back.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We've done a small amount of DIY research on emissions of aftermarket cats on here... And though the newer cats have less precious metals in them, the design is far more advanced/efficient than what they were building 15 years ago for Prius, so less metals are required to achieve similar results. Can't remember the link but the conclusion was at low RPM an aftermarket cat's emissions were slightly cleaner than OEM gen2 cat. The person doing the analysis @TMR-JWAP did a thorough job, but due to limits on DIY analysis equipment was unable to do emissions testing at higher RPM under load so it is possible that an aftermarket cat is less efficient in that scenario because we've not been able to study that yet.

#13 PriusCamper, Jun 10, 2022
  14. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the discussion on aftermarket cats. Any thoughts on all these darn OBD codes? I booked an appt with my local mechanic but they can’t see me until 6/21. Obviously I’m down to fix as much as I can myself but have basic automotive mechanic experience. Seems like the upstream (?) O2 sensor might be giving me all these headaches. If that’s the one that connects via my passenger floorboard.

15. 2010moneypit?

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you got new codes since you cleared the light?

16. 2010moneypit?

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    that’s AWSOME people are researching the aftermarket cats.

17. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No but it’s only been 22 miles. I’d shocked (but stoked) if all these codes were due to a dirty MAF.

18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The O2 sensor that has wires passing through the passenger side floor board is the downstream sensor. The upstream (fuel ratio sensor) is mounted in the exhaust manifold and plugs into the car harness under the inverter. The downstream O2 sensor is mounted in the exhaust pipe between the upper catalytic converter and the downstream catalytic converter, and it's wires pass through the floor board and plug into the car harness on the left side of the front passenger floorboard tunnel.

When DTC P0172 is recorded, the actual air-fuel ratio is on the RICH side.

Detection Condition:
    When air-fuel ratio feedback is stable after warming up engine, fuel trim is considerably in error on RICH side (2 trip detection logic)

Trouble Area:
    Injector leak, blockage • Mass air flow meter • Engine coolant temperature sensor • Ignition system • Fuel pressure • Gas leakage in exhaust system • Open or short in A/F sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) circuit • A/F sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) • A/F sensor heater • EFI M relay • ECM

#18 TMR-JWAP, Jun 10, 2022
    PriusCamper likes this.
  19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing I have seen that always amazes me is the amount of carbon dust that will come out of a Prius cat when compressed air is blown through it.

try it sometime. Remove the entire front section of pipe, cats and resonator. It should also have the O2 sensor removed. Use a decent compressor with a good venturi style air multiplier nozzle. Plug the O2 hole and then blow air backwards through the pipe and then blow air through the O2 hole. You'll be amazed at the huge cloud that comes out. Worth a try to see if it clears up the P0420