1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0420 need input

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by anamanzana, Oct 19, 2021.

1. anamanzana

anamanzana New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    After noticing leaking coolant around the rear drivers side tire I took my car to the shop and they couldn't find a trace/signs of a leak (including in case relevant). So I ended getting an oil change and a tune-up which including a gdi induction service and after getting my car back and driving it for 20-30 minutes the check engine light came on for the first time in the time I've had the car. The code is a P0420 and the shop tech said that it is probably from something blowing into there after the gdi cleaning and cleared the code. I'm asking for input, could that be what threw the code or is did something happen to my cat?

2009 & 93,000 mi

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might need to get the code cleared another one or two times until all the gunk they used clears your system.

It was probably a totally unnecessary item that they upsold you.
    Sounds intriguing, what makes you believe it is coolant?

3. anamanzana

anamanzana New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Because it's the only bright pink fluid in my car, and it would make sense for coolant from the second coolant reservoir for the battery to flow back towards the hybrid battery.

They didn't even upsell it to me, I asked for a tune-up, and it was just something that they did as part of it and I had no idea until afterwards

#3 anamanzana, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2021
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The car doesn't have a GDI engine, in case anybody else gets pitched a "GDI induction service."

5. koco

koco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah, an 09 Prius does not come with GDI. It could be that the cleaning service is similar anyhow. Who knows what they did.

It does sound like the catalytic just got some excessive crud in it. I once got that on a corolla after getting some cheap gas and a can of seafoam in the gas tank cleaned it out. Seafoam in the gas tank cleared a P0420 on a Civic I once had.