1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0420 please help :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Colton1er, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Colton1er

Colton1er New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ps - has anyone heard of Greentec Auto? A friend of mine told me to check them out today, they do rebuilt batteries in the east bay....could be an option.

Toyota Prius Gen 2 Hybrid Battery Replacement

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry, but I don't get the new battery or new cells option. Care to explain, as you cannot just buy modules from Toyota, or is an aftermarket alternative supplier of new modules?
    Yes, and they have a reputation, but not in a good way.
    Ah, no.

Colton1er likes this.
  3. Colton1er

Colton1er New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not exactly sure. I deleted the email or else I’d refer to that - and as I’ve stated before I’m not exactly hybrid savvy. Either way it was only $200 less than the new OEM battery..so I wasn’t too psyched on my options. However I will say that my experience there was great, they’re super professional and their shop is an amazing space - it’s obvious that they do great work there. If I do keep my car I will take it there from now on for general maintenance that I don’t perform myself.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @110bhp is the member I helped:).

He’ll be along eventually or you can PM him. Or click on his name and search his content and you’ll find his thread;).

Most battery “rebuilders” do not have the best reputation, which includes Greentec. The pool of modules they are using is old and getting thinner everyday :(.

Your best bet if considering the rebuilt route is to DIY with a way to grid charge and balance the whole hv battery pack. @jeff652 sells individual modules and the harness required to grid charge your pack on his hybrid automotive website :).

Then if you find someone in your geographic area that has the Prolong equipment and is willing to loan it out, the cost of the rebuild is significantly less;).

Hope that helps (y).

SFO likes this.
  5. Colton1er

Colton1er New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just spent the last hour reading through his thread and others relating to this topic. Looks like a pretty huge undertaking - unfortunately I don’t have much time and need to get this done soon, I’m in the process of moving with only a few weeks left in my current home.

6. Colton1er

Colton1er New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ted is a good guy. He has the right equipment to correctly build long lasting batteries. I would not hesitate to buy a rebuilt battery from him.

8. jharaszko

jharaszko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a new greentec battery in my 2007. I got it at 155k and now have 220k. I got it with 4 year unlimited mileage warranty. Warranty is up in summer 2020. So far so good. Was 2700 installed at my house.

9. Colton1er

Colton1er New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ended up getting a rebuilt battery from Ted Barcelon in Santa Rosa, 1500 installed. Running like a champ so far, really cool dude. Cheers everyone!

SFO, Raytheeagle and john1701a like this.
  10. aznitronut

aznitronut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2007 Prius, A/C Out, I stopped to get gas, turned off the engine, fueled up, started back up, and A/C blowing Hot air, any thoughts out there? Was nice and cool before that. I need a little help, I can see freon through the site glass, and hot air coming out of the dash vents.

SM-G935P ?

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please start a new thread related to your topic. Thanks.

aznitronut likes this.
  12. aznitronut

aznitronut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay

SM-G935P ?

13. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  14. aznitronut

aznitronut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thx, tried that, didn't need freon.

SM-G935P ?

15. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I were you, I'd replace the catcon, along side the oxygen sensors.
    I don't think the hybrid battery can trigger a P0420 code. The lack of power you got while driving might be from the clogged catcon. If after replacement you still noticed reduced power, then you might be having some issues associated with the HV pack. Have that scanned by a scantool that can adapt to a hybrid system.

16. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's where the problems always comes from. Lots of folks just go to car stands and buy cars without having maybe a professional accompany them. Venturing into such purchases, I bet you, cones with some level of risks, that you maynkt have figured out. Seeing the car in good shape, and all that, doesn't tell a car's state. You could have well bought a lemon.

17. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If replacing the cat is your decision you'll need to have one a friend out of state. There's replacements you can install yourself.
    Otherwise the O2 sensor behind might fix it as well. Or the front one if it's causing it to run to rich.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.