1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0420 Woes: Replace Converter "Back?" on a 2005 @ 192k

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by missk8_ou, Apr 3, 2018.

1. missk8_ou

missk8_ou Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey gang!

OK - I've been reading the related P0420 threads and they've been super helpful but I'm still a little unclear on exactly what my next move should be when it comes to getting a few more years (hopefully!) out of my beloved 2gen.

Backstory:

Replaced the muffler on this thing a few years back. No real issues otherwise to speak of. Well, that heat shield over the muffler fell off two years ago and I was advised that replacing it wasn't really necessary (!!!). I typically wait about 4k miles to change the oil and - yes - I am *now* aware that 2gen tend to burn oil quickly (thanks for hammering that home for me!). :)

Suddenly, exhaust sounds pretty awful...like a muscle car. I got on the ground and checked it out while the ICE was running and, sure enough, there is exhaust coming from the back *and* front of the muffler. Pipe that runs under the center of the car doesn't sound super great, either.

In hopes that I could make it another five days before I am able to drop it at my local shop, which has always done fantastic work for me, I keep driving it. Until yesterday, that is. CEL is now on. Panic ensues.

I'm out of town for work so I find a Toyota dealership as soon as I arrive at my destination, take it in, and they tell me I need like $5,000 in repairs. OOF. The very kind guy at the counter, who was also not-to-subtly recommending that I lease a new Prius (lol), says that I need to "replace converter back and O2 sensors".

I kind of figured the exhaust situation probably triggered a sensor and I suspected that, at worse, the cat needed to be replaced. However, the way the guy explained it to me, it sounded like they wanted to try to "rebuild" the back of the cat and keep the front?

And now the questions (finally, sorry):

1. Is he referring to the fact that there are 2 types of catalytic converters in the 2gen Prius? (correct me if I'm wrong or confused...)

2. I know I should expect put some $$$ into a car this age and mileage - but in Ohio, I don't think I need an OEM cat so would YOU (yourself) just sink a few hundred bucks into an aftermarket cat like the Magnaflow I see referenced so often, new sensors, clear the code, adjust my oil change intervals, and just try to ride it out another year or so?

3. Dude also recommended that I have my water pump and "belt" replaced. I asked which belt. He said timing. I think he meant serpentine. The water pump was replaced as part of a recall several years ago and, compared to the cat/sensor repair/replacement, it's a relative drop in the bucket but is that something you've encountered, too?

The guys who actually DO the work were still hanging out by my sweet old girl when I walked out to drive away...loudly...and they actually leveled with me: just take it to a muffler shop and have them patch you up at this point. No sense in putting $5k into this thing - that's a down payment on a newer model.

I love, love, love my 2005 and - yes, both financial concerns and sentimental (perhaps irrationally sentimental) attachment may be influencing my decision-making.

So, long story short (too late): is an aftermarket cat worth it and can pretty much any muffler shop or (preferably) my usual shop do this repair to keep me in this sweet thing for another year or two (or 100,000 miles)? :)

I can scan and share the quote from the service desk with the details of their recommended "immediate repairs" if it helps inform anyone who made it this far in the post...

Thanks everyone and sorry if this is a super-duplicate post. Always appreciate the wisdom and insight here at PC!

kate

blrose1228 likes this.
  2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Kate,

Having spent significant time in Cleveland, I know what you mean about cars up there. I've been in SC about 19.5 years now, so I don't have to deal much with corrosion issues. There are many sellers on ebay who offer assemblies that replace everything from the engine exhaust manifold, all the way back to the tip of the pipe at the rear of the car for a tenth (or less) of what the dealer is asking. You can purchase it and have it installed if you can't do it yourself.

For example...the complete front section with converters and resonator:

Catalytic Converter Bosal 096-1692 fits 04-09 Toyota Prius 1.5L-L4 623920338031 | eBay

The complete rear section with muffer:
    Toyota Prius 2004-2009 Bosal 279-423 - Rear Exhaust Muffler | eBay

It all bolts together. You may need only the muffler section. Do you have anyone reliable that can inspect it for you to see where the damage actually is located? Most likely just rusted through somewhere.

#2 TMR-JWAP, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds as if the service writer needs to make his quota of "something" this month and is starting early.

I would take the wrench monkey's advice and take it to a reputable muffler place and see what they have to say -- meanwhile, mentioning nothing about what
    Toyota said.

I think you are getting the engine water pump confused with the inverter pump -- AFAIK, there has not been a recall on the engine water pump.

I think you can likely skip that, but the Prius water pump is known to fail early. Look around the pump and look for signs of seepage, pink or white deposits on the pulley area.

Deal with the muffler and see it that works, then, go from there.

BTW, seems they ALWAYS want to replace an O2 sensor or two -- avoid it.

4. blrose1228

blrose1228 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Hey Kate, what was the final outcome getting your car fixed. Would be interested in hearing the end of your story!

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Get the cheapest muffler and cat you can find installed at a muffler shop and then have the belt replaced there talking about. There’s only one belt and the only thing it does is turn the ENGINE water pump. Belt fails belt falls off water pump stops turning engine overheats and blows up and then you have to dig a really big hole in the back yard to bury it.

#5 edthefox5, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018