1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0420 Worth replacing catalytic converter a 2nd time? 297k

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2ndgenbestgen, Aug 11, 2022.

1. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    First time sometime stole it, did a cheap after market replacement, now it's throwing P0420. Emissions isn't a concern. Fuel economy has been unaffected.

Any other issues that could arise from this that would make it worth worrying about? Thanks.

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The only concern I would have is that if the light is on all the time, you won't be able to know if some other fault occurs.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Mine has been on for 2 years I still have the original cat in this '09 that I'm driving and it's been throwing this code but I have not changed both sensors with a decent set of the proper numbers in the right place when I first got the car the light was not on and the guy said he had never seen the light. And he drove this car all the $200,000 miles except 15 of it. So I'm going to try the sensors first and see if that cleans the mess up I really have trouble believing that there would be different amounts of flow rates in these converters versus another two z converter like in a Corolla but I know they're heating problems and other things so we will see

4. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Maybe for you it may just be sensors.
    If it's a bad catalytic converter you'll start to smell sulfur more. If you don't smell anything then maybe it's just that.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A sulphur smell is likely caused by the fuel mixture being too rich (too much fuel)- that causes the cat to spit out sulphur dioxide along with other "bad" gases.

I would be testing the A/F and O2 sensors.

Normal exhaust- even with a dead cat- doesn't smell like much of anything (unless your engine burns a lot of oil).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Interesting. the exhaust in this car smells horrid, and the code is p0420. Burns a lot of oil though, I've read it's that oil burn in a high mileage Prius that ruins the catalytic converter.

I see some websites shilling " CRC Turbo and Intake Valve Cleaner". Is it snake oil?