1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0441 after cleaning IM/EGR

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Higgins909, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    07/02/2022 I started, finished on 07/03/2022. Noticed it on Tuesday/Wed, reset it, at work. Then Fri morning, it came back on. On Saturday I got gas as well. I checked my gas cap. Looks fine as far as I can tell.

I cleaned the,
    Intake manifold
    Throttle body
    MAP? At the bottom of intake manifold.
    Injectors
    EGR, Pipe, "elbow", valve, cooler
    Exhaust pipe where cooler connects.
    ...Think that's it.

Inspected the MAF when trying to figure out why it wouldn't start, which turned out to be because I didn't put the hose next to the MAP back on. When I was cleaning the IM, I just took that one hose off near the MAP and the whole little thing that is connected to and left it in the car. NUB takes it out with the IM in his video.

Planning to take a better look tomorrow morning when it's not 104F outside. Before I go ripping it apart, anyone got any ideas of what to look for?

Thanks,
    Higgins909

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Other than the code, is it running ok now?

sometimes codes will persist after the problem is rectified, till you’ve done 4~5 more start ups. And that code ties in with the hose you left off: it’s running gas tank vapours back to intake manifold.

4. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Should it be coming back on after clearing it? It's been running a lot better, I think. Got more low end punch/power. I'm sure the HVB is still not that good. The first day or so I noticed I was getting 2, maybe 4 mpg less. I think the mpg has normalized.

Heading off to bed early tonight. Will check back tomorrow.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Give it a few start ups; it may then go off, since you’ve likely resolved the issue.

Cleaning the EGR is not a “tune up”, ie it’s not a performance boost or mpg helper. It restores flow of a system that I believe the engineers are counting on, to keep combustion chamber temps more uniform/stable. Neglected, head gaskets are failing.

6. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So It's been a few weeks now. I found this rubber pipe off. I think it went to the purge valve that is on the right side of the intake that NaB left on but I took off and left in the car. It didn't look like the clamp was ever moved but I was able to slide the hose back on with ease and tuned out I could pull it right back off. Luckily all I needed to do was adjust the clamp slightly.

I don't think I ever took it off and should have seen it easier when everything was apart because that's under the windshield wiper under frame.

Ever since doing all the cleaning I still have a lot more throttle response at slower speeds and taking off. I'm so used to flooring it off the line that I was chirping/spinning my tires for a couple weeks. 0-60 is still about the same though. Got "V-Tech" around 40-55mph whatever the hybrid system feels like.
    IMG20220710122103.jpg IMG20220710122306.jpg