1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0441 hit me the other day

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Beau Cephus, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Beau Cephus

Beau Cephus New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So saw the check engine light pop up, gas cap was loose so tightened her up. Light remained. Went to autozone and they pulled up a P0441, idk if they cleared it or it was the gas cap but the light went off. Haven't been driving her hard since and doing some research. Suggestions and if it is the evap how much am I lookin at.... 2012 88k

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If it's the evaporative emissions control system, it typically takes a few drive cycles to set or clear the light. If you manually clear the code and it doesn't return, problem solved. Since you found a gas cap loose, that is the likely cause of the problem (and is the most common cause of this problem).

The system pressurizes the fuel tank and checks that the pressure holds. If not, then there is a leak that can allow fuel vapors to escape to the atmosphere, which is the problem the evap control system was installed to prevent. The ECM detects this and puts on the check engine light and stores the code.

There are a number of things in the system that can fail or deteriorate, anything from the loose cap to a loose or cracked fitting, etc. Estimating the cost is impossible unless a problem is identified. If the code returns and your gas cap is tight, and you desire to fix the problem, take it to a good shop for a smoke test. They put a smoke generator connected to the evap system and see where the smoke leaks out.

3. Beau Cephus

Beau Cephus New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, yeah that's what I was thinking, and I live in a humid area as well. But I'll keep an eye on it and did a precious oil change on her yesterday a couple thousand early just tone safe

4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Was this in response to the OBD code?

5. Beau Cephus

Beau Cephus New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, just did as much minor TLC I could do and gonna feel it out.... one of the thing I read to look out for is lunging when gassing after a stop

6. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't understand this.

7. Beau Cephus

Beau Cephus New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a trouble sign that it's more than just the gas cap, aka bad evap system

8. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Got it. I've been living with an intermittent evap system code on my 2006 MX-5 for a few years. It comes and goes, and it's not worth fixing. Lately it's gone more. Doesn't affect driveability, so I just live with it.