1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0441 & P0455 after 250+ miles after replacing 02 sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Janza, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Janza

Janza Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all,

thanks for the wealth of information thus far! I’m realizing that this may be a gas cap issue, but I wanted to run it by the forum…

i have an ‘08 Prius that I’ve owned for almost 2 years now. Bought it at 144k mikes and now it’s got about 176k on it.

i recently had some repairs made to get it to pass inspection, because the check engine light was constantly on and I was getting error codes P0031 and P2237, which I learned was the oxygen/bank 1 sensor. So I ordered the part and had it replaced. The mechanic also told me I needed a new front wheel bearing and new serpentine belt for it to pass inspection.

So all those repairs were made and I drove the vehicle from NH to NJ. I stopped and got gas. Soon after the check engine light came on. I read the codes with my scanner, which were P0441 and P0455. New codes I had never seen before but read most likely were pertaining to the gas cap. So I cleared the code and tightened the gas cap. The car allowed me to drive about another 120 miles over numerous starts and stops and the check engine light has just come on again with the same codes.

i did buy a new gas cap some months ago according to the owners manual. Part number
    Fuel Cap Replace 77300-47010, 7730047010
    I personally don’t think it’s super tight when tightened, but it clicks. I’d like to think this is the issue, but not 100% sure. Any advice?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I haven't even looked up these two codes but you replaced one O2 sensor there are two and they are kind of a set The computer reads the upstream and the downstream matches the voltage reading it's getting and makes an adjustment accordingly maybe the one that's not been replaced is past due and then everything may go to working if you replace your gas cap with a Toyota approved unit I would think your gas cap would be in good shape maybe you saved your old one and you could put it back on to run a test and see that would kind of be a way of figuring this out.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those codes are evaporative emission codes, are they not? So unlikely anything to do with either O2 sensor methinks.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Then you'll have to try and find sub codes if there's such a thing for this You're evaporative system on these cars is pretty wild there's a green fitting where you can blow smoke and do all that kind of nonsense but if there's anything like my sienna and Corolla there is an EVAP switch near the canister that constantly or regularly goes bad and this is what sets the light in my sienna van right regularly because this solenoid goes bad The minute I unplug and change the solenoid the light goes away without even resetting the codes or resetting the system my Corolla has a similar valve it opens and allows gas to go from the charcoal canister to be rebreathed by the engine or something along those lines.

5. Janza

Janza Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. It’s all strange. I’ve cleared the codes but a different one has come back. This time it’s p0456 - “a very small leak” in the EVAP system

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes see that green fitting up under the car that green cap on that plastic tube whatever you should have that That's the checkpoint where you can blow gas smoke whatever through there and the gist of it is it will come out where it's not supposed to and then either a solenoid or a gas cap or what have you or a one-way type valve is not functioning this is very common in my Toyota sienna when the light comes on there's nothing else I check I go back by the gas tank and look at the solenoid and it's not working replace it the light goes off. This code will probably be similar there's a solenoid or something that's not allowing the EVAP system to draw the stuff from the canister or put the stuff into the canister or something along those lines not really heavy duty stuff here. More of a p i t a

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All 3 codes have to do with the evapprative emissions system ( gasoline vapors from the fuel tank). Yes the gas cap can cause codes. I see enough problems with aftermarket replacement caps that I only use genuine OE (Toyota) cap.

There are many parts in the evap system that can be the source of your problem. If the codes return after getting an OE cap then you likely will have to have a shop test the system- all the solenoid valves, the system pressure sensor, the leak detection pump, all the hoses and lines, and the tank itself.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.