1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0453 - My Prius & I have a love hate relationship.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Kswiss95, Sep 11, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Kswiss95

Kswiss95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys. About a month ago I purchased a 2008 Toyota Prius, non running, with 167k. The previous owner stated the engine had been replaced at one point in time. They were done trying to fix it and cut the converter off it. Well, after diagnosis, I replaced the transmission, ABS accumulator, catalytic converter, fixed an inverter leak, changed inverter coolant pump and now finally it’s running & driving great. I have one issue left. The code is P0453 which is canister pressure sensor high and I’m getting a value of about 940 on tech stream which should be below 900. and upon doing some research it brought me to the canister module area. Luckily, I have a lift in my garage and was able to drop the tank just slightly and access the 10 prong connector for the canister pump module. I tested with a multi meter and got V7-2(SGND): no reading V7-3(VOUT): 3.5V and V7-4(VCC): no reading. I looked over the harness and could not find an issue. I noticed when I unplugged everything I’d still get a reading of about 940 from tech stream. I guess my question is has anyone ran into any issues like this before? I’m pretty stumped and I’ve been trying to resolve this for a week. I’ll include the pdf of the work up for p0453, as that’s what I’ve been going off.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

-Kswiss

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please share the PDF you mentioned? It didn't show up? What part does it tell you to replace and curious to know why you didn't find a similar used one and swap it out yet? Or is that the plan once you exhaust the other options?

Kswiss95 likes this.
  3. Kswiss95

Kswiss95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm...

Situations like this make me think the best option is to have a spare Prius so you can simply swap out parts to see what the fix is.

That PDF didn't say too much about what to replace, just how to diagnose and sometimes it's easier to just cut to the chase and replace rather than getting too deep into the weeds of doing diagnostics.

I don't know the system well enough to suggest swapping out the whole tank assembly with a used one, which is the preference for repairing most of the other problems these tanks have because it's hard to get access. Of course because you have a lift you're far less limited in that regard.

Kswiss95 likes this.
  5. Kswiss95

Kswiss95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found a guy locally with the same car just missing cats for $350. I was thinking about grabbing that and using it as a parts car seeing I’m always picking up these Prius anyhow. Thanks for the insight

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not a big fan of parting out a dead car that doesn't run... But I can tell you I got a good price on a spare 2005 Prius that I was working on last January and it's been so rewarding to have a car to refine customizations ideas on that's fully functional as the value of used low-mile Gen2 Prius are increasing like crazy right now. So when I do need a part to fix someone's Prius I pull it off that car and then once I get paid I replace the part.

For example, someone needed an antenna mount replaced and ebay was selling used ones for $40ish so I pulled it off my 2005 and charged them that amount. Then as luck would have it, the local wrecker got a Prius in and I got the antenna mount for less than $10 so I made $30ish on that particular transaction and when I finally run out of things to customize on this spare Prius I make an even greater return on my investment.

nancytheprius and Kswiss95 like this.
  7. Kswiss95

Kswiss95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Me either, usually I fix everything, the one that’s for parts has some title issues and HV issues

PriusCamper likes this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    On my sienna I've never even hooked up the code scanner if the light comes on and turns the check engine light on and nothing is apparently wrong it's always the evap solenoid next to the gas tank next to that evap canister looking multi-stage whatever it is back there that solenoid won't come on allowing the gas to flow from that thing to get reburned up at the engine and it sets the check engine light it's like clockwork in a sienna van 01 year model The light comes on you go back and look at that solenoid you can do all the testing you want at the plug doesn't even matter take a solenoid from another Toyota that looks the same that is in the EVAP system there's a million of them plug it up light goes off the solenoid opens up like it's supposed to when it's told to that ends the problem throw that solenoid away be another four or five years. In the Prius I don't know exactly but if you're getting a code that's sending you back to that solenoid just change it take one from another car whatever plug it up see if that stops the whole show more than likely that's the end of it and you remember the next time you get this code in 6 years from now you'll look back on this and sale let me just swap the solenoid on here and off you'll go That's generally it seems how these things work a lot on this model.

9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For your P0453 code, I would pop the lower glovebox out and check what the voltage is at pin 30 (PPMP circuit, blue wire) of the E7 connector.

The code setting criteria states that the ECM is seeing 928.4 mmHg ( 4.9V ) or more on the PPMP . VC should be around 5V with the ignition ON. Check that at pin 18 (red wire) of ECM conn E4. It goes through a junction connector J/C 14 "behind the right side of dash".

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#9 mr_guy_mann, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  10. Kswiss95

Kswiss95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you. I will test pin 18 today and report back!!

11. Kswiss95

Kswiss95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had some time to take another look at the Prius. I spent most of the day troubleshooting with another running Prius I had, swapping parts around etc. I swapped the gas tank harness from the car with no issues to the car with P0453. That was not the issue. I swapped the ECM, that was not the issue. I read 4.5 volts at both the PPMP (blue wire) and pin 18(red wire) on the ecu. I then went back to the rear plug, and got the same V7-2(SGND): no reading V7-3(VOUT): 4.5 and V7-4(VCC): no reading. Would this point to an issue in the wiring harness from the ecu<———>sensor? I did visually inspect the harness from the ecm to the sensor and couldn’t notice any potential issues. Let’s just say, I’m pretty stumped. Now I’ve got both of my Prii ripped apart:cool:

12. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would disconnect the 12V battery, unplug the ECM connector E4. Then use a piece of wire as an extension and check continuity from VCC at the tank connector to E4 pin 18.

I might consider carefully running a (temporary) jumper wire from pin 18 back to the tank connector (just double check that you have the correct wires identified). See if having VCC power takes care of the code. Or jumper the signal wire to sensor ground at the tank and see if techstream shows a short to ground reading and code.

I assume that the working prius has 5V at the tank connector VCC pin?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.