1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0453 Vapor Pressure Sensor VPS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JayRock_PHX, May 19, 2020.

1. JayRock_PHX

JayRock_PHX Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    P0453 Vapor Pressure Sensor VPS

Has anyone changed one of these? I know it’s on the tank but my question is can you get to it from under the rear seats or you gotta drop the tank? I been searching for last 3hours and can’t find an answer other than the location but nothing on replacing it
    Thanks

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Canister pump module is not necessarily defective, other areas to consider are:
    • Connector/wire harness (canister pump module <––> ECM)
    • ECM
    Attached is the full inspection procedure for the P0453 (as well as P0450, P0451, and P0452.)

I hope this is of some help.

[EDIT] I notice in your profile you say you have a 2010 (Gen 3). Is the car in this post a different car? If it is not, then the info I posted more than likely will not help, that info is for a Gen 2, seeing as this is a Gen 2 forum.

Attached Files:

#2 dolj, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    SFO likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you worked through the troubleshooting in the repair manual (more info) yet?

That's important because a trouble code that has the name of some sensor in it's one-liner forune-cookie description is not necessarily telling you to go replace that sensor. It's telling you the ECU is getting questionable readings from that sensor, which could mean anything from a wiring problem on the way to the sensor or a problem with the tank and the questionable readings are real. Finding out what the problem is first can save you from doing work that doesn't solve it.

The bonus is that the pictures and instructions for finding and replacing the sensor will also be in there, if after the troubleshooting that is what you need to replace.