1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0607 vs Hybrid battery issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jking, Jun 5, 2020.

1. jking

jking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius with 167,000 miles on it. About 2 months ago, I had the dash light up and it was recommended I get a new hybrid battery. Given its age, it made sense. I had it replaced for about $1500. Shortly after, I had the same lights (check engine, red triangle, VSC, etc.) come on. They thought that the computer may need to cycle through and after having the code cleared and driving it, it was fine for a few weeks. The next month, I ended up having my 12v battery die and it was determined that it also needed replacing, so I did. Just a few days later, the lights all came on again. After searching forums, I saw several threads about a leak that often happens, so I checked the back of the car and found about 1/2 inch of water under the spare tire! I had the body shop seal up possible leakage spots where the body connects to the back door, but they couldn't find a specific place it was leaking. A few days later, all the lights came on again.

So, I had it towed to Toyota (not only are lights on, but the battery level on screen is at the very bottom and it does not seem to have any power. They pulled the codes today:
    P0A80
    P0607
    P3000

They recommended I call the battery company (Green Bean) since it's under warranty. However, because of the P0607 code, that company wants me to explore it first. So, Toyota would have to replace the hybrid control module which is estimated at $1000.

In reading other threads, I noticed one about cruise control stopping working intermittently and only resets by powering down. This has been the case with mine for many years, but I don't know if it's connected.

Q: should I replace this module or explore other possible factors? I'm concerned because I know there was water in the back that it could be a contributing factor, but Toyota said there was no water today.

Sorry for the long post!

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They recommended I call the battery company (Green Bean) since it's under warranty. However, because of the P0607 code, that company wants me to explore it first. So, Toyota would have to replace the hybrid control module which is estimated at $1000.

The Toyota repair manual troubleshooting guide for the P0607 code states that if P0607 is present (by itself) the first thing to do is replace the ecm.
    If any other codes are present with it, you correct those other codes first.

P0607.jpg

#2 TMR-JWAP, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    SFO and jking like this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While it is a good idea to get this fixed as the car should not leak, it has no material bearing on your current situation – unless there was so much water in the spare tire area (which from how you've described it it wasn't) that is spilled over from the back into the passenger cabin.

I agree with TMP-JWAP. Green Bean needs to resolve the P0A80/P3000 then if the P0607 comes back after clearing all codes, the ECM should then be replaced assuming no other codes.

Good luck with Green Bean

jking likes this.