1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P062F46 - Hybrid/EV Powertrain Control Module EEPROM Calibration/Parameter Memory Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by orangecones, Nov 7, 2021.

1. orangecones

orangecones Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All -

Looking at buying a 2016, about 50k km on the clock. Got a PPE done on it and overall it got a green light from the 3rd party hybrid garage I took it to. The one potential alarm is P062F46 came back as Confirmed. Otherwise it also showed a series of various electrical system glitches as historical, but not current. The mechanic suggested escalating to Toyota for a 2nd opinion as it could be as simple as the previous owner jumped it poorly at some point if the battery went flat which could have triggered a bad voltage reading and therefore these errors so you could just clear the codes and they may not come back again. OR - it could be a defective ECU - which I'm seeing as a $800 part (+labor) to get replaced.

The car was sitting at the dealer for about 4 months (per history report), after a trade-in. The selling dealer is NOT a Toyota dealer. The PPE garage was about 25 minute drive from the dealer. At time of PPE the traction battery and 12V battery readings were in range. Although I also believe the 12V is the original battery from late 2015 (car has a Feb 2016 build date).

The one other thread I found here discussing this error seemed to focus a lot on bad jumps being a possibility. Other websites I found roughly describe the repair path for this error as

1. Clear the code.
    2. See if it comes back
    3. Replace the ECU

The seller is having the car checked out at a Toyota dealer, as a condition of moving forward on a deal. Is the ECU part of the standard warranty, or the hybrid system warranty? I guess we'll see what Toyota says, but I for now I write this for the record, and also to get a reality check from you guys.

Possible outcomes --

1. Toyota determines it's nothing, clears the code, and says it's fine. It actually ends up being fine.
    2. Toyota determines it's nothing, clears the code. A couple months later the code comes back. - The car has no warranty from Toyota, except remainder of hybrid warranty (8y/160k km), and the diagnostics done by Toyota provide protection under the consumer protection laws and since they did bad, they would be liable to do good.
    3. Toyota determines the ECU is bad. Seller is liable to replace it as a pre-sale condition. Replacement ECU is protected under consumer protection laws.

The rest of the car got a green light from the PPE. Otherwise, there are a few cosmetic (paint) things here and there but it's a 5/6 year old city car - as another presale condition, the seller will fix the paint. So no real red flags except the code.

Anything got any knowledge on this code? Big enough red flag that regardless of Toyota's assessment you'd run away anyway? Wait and see what Toyota says?

Cheers.