1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. whburling

whburling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    MYCAR:
    2006 prius

PROBLEM:
    Using autozone obd2 reader, the device indicated a P0700 and a P1898 error

SYMPTOMS:
    I do know that my mpg dropped from 46 to about 42 to 44 (if I really work at it) and I appear to be consuming
    oil (4 quarts over 6-8 months) but do not see any blue smoke. i check my oil level often ensure the level is acceptable. Mileage is over 200,000. Motor seems smooth as does the transmission. Engine light comes on sporadically and not for long..Maintenance required light is on all the time.

QUESTION #1
    Does anyone have any idea as to what the error code means other than Transmission control module error.

Some of the blurbs I read suggested that the catalytic burner may not be operating correctly if oil is being consumed and that situation can give me a p-0700 code. but there are at least 5 other possibilities. I know most of you have extensive experience so I am asking for your insight to narrow the possibilities.

QUESTION #2
    is there a software package that I can purchase for near $150.00 that would give me the
    extensions for toyota so that I can see data that will help me narrow down the possible problem.

It can not afford tech stream....and $400 for autoenginuity is doable but difficult as I am 73, retired on social security and do not fix cars for a living other than my 2006 prius which i fix for me. ProScan web site is horrible to navigate and find out info. PCM Scan seems to be aimed at ford, gm and mazda.

I may have an old old tech stream package that someone allowed me to download and provided a key long long ago on here....I have a usb adapter I have an old laptop running w10 (insider preview) and I have an iphone 7.

all suggestions appreciated.

bil

#1 whburling, Yesterday at 8:16 PM

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That could be the problem, the OBD2 reader isn't compatible with a Prius, check other stores and or borrow other readers.

Numerous things could be contributing to the MPG drop; tire pressure, worn or plugged up rings, old 12v battery, tired HV battery, etc.

What type of oil and weight are you using?

The DTCs you've posted are pretty generic and don't appear to apply to a Prius. When a proper OBD2 code reader is used, in addition to a DTC it will provide a three (3) digit subcode called an INF (if one exists) which will help to narrow the problem down.

Please check you PM for additional help.

Thank you for linking to your prior post.

Raytheeagle likes this.