1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Steve88

Steve88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I was driving my 2004 (244000 miles) on the highway the other day and it shut down while I was driving. I was able to coast to and exit and when it was slowing down it threw itself into park. I started it up right away (no known issue) and drove away. It happened again another time and there was a burning smell. I got the P0A1D-149 code. Does anyone know what it means and what I have to do?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Asssuming you are using Techstream to retrieve the DTC(s), the service manual says to replace the hybrid vehicle control ECU.
    Location of ECU in question:
    upload_2019-6-9_14-36-53.png

It behoves you to get a copy of the factory service manual.

For the official Toyota service/repair manuals (engine, mechanical, interior, exterior, electrical, essentially EVERYTHING), go to TIS
    Two days will cost you $20. Supposedly only business days are counted (remember reading this in other threads). If you start on a Friday 12:00:00 AM, you have until Monday 11:59:59 PM, to finish.

Supposedly PDFs no longer available from TIS. Another Prius Chat member discovered how to make a CHM file into a PDF.
    Toyota TIS download tips | PriusChat
    This user downloaded both his Toyota cars over the course of his 2 business day subscription.

Skibob and SFO like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How did you retrieve the OBD2 codes?

Was that the only code offered?

Here is the workup for DTC P0A1D with INF 148 and 149: https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Repair%20Manual/04pruisr/05/21bpm/0a1d148.pdf

Tricky one. Try checking the connections and connectors all around, to and from.

And or go with the advice @exstudent offered above.

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Steve88

Steve88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I was using Techstream. Thanks for the information. I will do the weekend option that you suggest.

Regards,
    Steve

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Steve88

Steve88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the information I will check the connections. There were error codes that I thought were unrelated C0200, Co205, B1521. I bought a cable from amazon ahd used TechStream.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It almost sounds like the inverter coolant pump has started to fail, which should've tossed a P0A93 and or blown the AM2 fuse.

Does the vehicle still drive?

When was the last time the pump was replaced?

Were you able to isolate where the burning smell was coming from?

When this happened, was it hot outside or did you have the AC running?

Here is the workup for C0200 / C0205 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Repair%20Manual/04pruisr/05/21avn/cic02003.pdf

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Steve88

Steve88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the workup.

Yes the vehicle still drives. I have not taken it to work since them but I did drive it around a little on the weekend with no problems. The time between the first problem and the last one was a week or 2. The first night it was raining and I drove through a large puddle (didnt know it was that large). Stopped the car and did some work. Came back 2 hours later and started to drive it and after around 20 min it stopped. The last time I was driving to work (around 50 miles). It was a nice day out (rained the day before), I was not using the AC but the last part of the trip was in stop and go traffic a lot (helped my MPG go over 52) so the battery was used a lot. I could not find the smell when I parked but figuried i might see something when i take things apart to get the part from under the dash. I never replaced the pump and dont know what the last owner did. I did check to see if the pump was working and did see coolant moving but I dont know if it was moving the correct amount since I dont have a reference. I will also check the fuse but the pump looks like it is working. Is ther a way to test it other than see the coolant move? Would you suggest I also replace it along with the ECU?

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the VIN at toyota.com/owners for the maintenance history. You can place a pencil/finger on the pump housing and feel for operation.

If you don't have a P0A93 code pointing to a failing inverter coolant pump, just concentrate on the current codes you do have. The pump won't last forever, and at some point should tell you when it needs replacing. Once you have the vehicle code free again you can think about being proactive with preventative maintenance.

Try scanning again, write down codes old and new. Then clear the codes and see what reappears after some use, if anything.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It appears you can buy a CD of this manual at RockAuto for $20, and no time limit.

More Information for DAVE GRAHAM 04TPRIC

SFO likes this.
  10. Steve88

Steve88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I will start looking into it today.

11. Steve88

Steve88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A