1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will try to make a long story short.

I have a 2007 Prius with 152k. It had a coolant leak. After looking for days at all hoses and radiator, water pumps etc. I was unable to find a leak. It turns out it was coming back out of radiator into overflow tank and leaking out of there. After testing with my mechanic, burping, bleeding refilling, driving and leaking out again 6 times he determined that there was a small leak in one of the cylinders and we could see air entering the overflow as it was running. We checked the oil and the coolant for any signs that they were mixing but could not find any.

So.......since I also have another Prius (I am a dealer and actually have 21) but I have one that I am using for parts we decided to just pull the engine, trans and radiator and put it in this car. The swap went fine and I have been driving it for a couple of days and have put about 50-60 miles on it and today as I pull up to a stop light....beep, triangle, CEL and (!) and the car wont move when the light turns green. I shut it off restart and pull into the parking lot where I was heading. I had been driving for about 20 miles city and highway prior. The car sat for about 2 hours while I attended an event and when it was over I drove it gingerly about 5 miles back to my lot. This time just the triangle and CEL were on. I scanned it and got the P0A3F current and history "motor resolver system".

I have searched and haven't found much on this code except a PIP that had this code and the dealer reset it.

I am guessing one of the high voltage plugs from trans or HV ECU plug is not connected properly.

I did also replace the skid control ECU in this car a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember the codes but it indicared the skid ECU and it solved the problem. Then came the coolant issue(which is fixed now BTW.

Any ideas?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0A3F means that there is a problem with the motor resolver which is a speed sensor within the transaxle. I suggest you obtain the troubleshooting info from techinfo.toyota.com so that you can perform resistance checks of the motor resolver connector and the wiring harness.

If there is a problem with the motor resolver itself then the transaxle must be replaced (as it is not a field-replaceable part.)

If no problem is found with the motor resolver or the wiring harness, then the hybrid vehicle ECU must be replaced.

TampaPrius.com likes this.
  3. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

I replaced the resolver connector from the original transaxle. It was a little bit different in appearance. The donor car was a 2004. All codes gone. I will continue to drive to make sure.

Thanks Patrick!