1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0a40 & P0a41 codes after engine replacement.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by RajivR74, Jun 9, 2019.

1. RajivR74

RajivR74 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have been working on a 2013 Prius for a friend who's an Uber/Lyft driver. It's his sole source of income & it has almost 370,000 miles. That's right 370k miles! The engine was replaced by someone else (500+ miles away) & the car made its way back home just fine but after 2 days of rideshare driving, it threw itself into limp mode TWICE on the expressway. The codes P0a93 & P0a94 lead me to check the inverter coolant pump which wasn't running so I replaced that & then the inverter which got rid of the P0a94. But now I have codes P0a40 & P0a41 (drive motor codes) that pop up as soon as the car goes into limp mode.

I have a Bluetooth obdII reader plugged into the car and I am able to clear the codes & continue driving normally until the car goes into limp mode again & throws codes P0a40 & P0a41 again. I can trigger the limp mode & codes at will by taking my foot off the accelerator pedal abruptly.

I'm hoping it's some sort of loose connection that happened during the engine replacement. Where should I start looking? I'm hoping that I can fix this car for my friend. He has already spent over $2000 on the engine replacement & this car is his only source of income. I am quite familiar with the second generation Prius but not the third. Please help! Thank you!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pluggo, Skibob, bisco and 1 other person like this.
  3. RajivR74

RajivR74 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base