1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DVB, Dec 1, 2019.

1. DVB

DVB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2005 Toyota Prius has 230,000 miles on it has been a great car however started throwing the battery code P0A80. I ran the basic Dr. Prius app and got some readings from the battery it clearly looks like Block six has the issue however blocks one and 14 seem to drop way down when the engine starts charging. Here’s a couple of photos. I want to make sure that I replace any bad cells so I’m looking for a little guidance. Point of interest the pack voltage appears to go up to 255 when it’s charging which doesn’t seem like a good thing?

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's been my experience that module #1 and module #28 (aka Block #1 & #14) are consistently not as healthy as the other modules in a healthy pack. I've often debated with friends if we should simply always replace module #1 and #28 when replacing a pack's first bad module. Our theory is that the very first cell on both ends of the pack is where the most extreme loads first come into and out of the pack...

And seeing as I've seen super brief peak loads as high as 148 amps via Dr. Prius app, those first and last cells in a series of 168 cells may be more likely to experience damage from peak voltage events that the 120amp fuse didn't blow out on because the peak amperage event was super brief.

As for replacing additional modules, the real question is how thorough do you want to be?

--Load testing each module once the pack is out will help you find bad modules....

--Charging all modules up to max charge and then waiting a few days will point out modules that self-discharge faster than others.

--Reconditioning modules by discharging each module in a race with other modules will show you ones that haven't failed but are likely the next ones to fail.

Putting all this data on a spreadsheet for future studying is essential too. More info once you clarify how much work you want to do.

3. DVB

DVB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for the reply, very much appreciated. I ended up replacing the two modules in Block six so far. A primitive voltage test showed only one bad module but swapped the pair with the two replacements I ordered. Everything is working well (for now). Very stable. So well in fact I put it back together. Hopefully when it fails again I’ll have enough knowledge & proper equipment to do a more complete and thorough rebuild job. Do you have a favorite charger?

PriFi likes this.