1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 advice...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Paul E. Highway, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Paul E. Highway

Paul E. Highway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. My plan is to take the car out and about tomorrow then disconnect all the bus bars right when I get home so the blocks can’t equalize , then load test all the modules for (hopefully) the most accurate data before I pull battery and start moving/replacing modules.

2. Hi_prius3

Hi_prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you have to check the battery temperature before you start working on it. It might be too hot to work on it right after driving home. It has to cool down some. I think it’s a safety issue to prevent the modules from warping, possibly damaging the module, and preventing a fire. I thought I saw it somewhere but can’t remember.

SFO likes this.
  3. Paul E. Highway

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok I will watch the temp, thanks

4. Paul E. Highway

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Aloha! I took the car out yesterday for about half an hour then brought it home and immediately disconnected the bus bars and load tested the modules. Data is attached and I welcome comment. The bad 5 modules from the test I did a month ago are marked in green in the module column, and the 5 modules I propose to replace now are in yellow. The first test the car had been sitting in driveway for 2+ days when I did the load test.

My plan is to move the center modules out to the ends and vice versa, and to try to pair modules in their blocks as closely in voltage as possible, and to make the blocks as close in voltage to each other as well, using the post load test data. Should be fun.

Any comments or advice appreciated!

Mahalo!
    PEH

Attached Files:

5. Paul E. Highway

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Been super busy with work but will be pulling battery soon. Did load test on all the modules again, identified 5 that are worse than the rest, and will replace with modules from Prolong. Also, will mix up the placement of modules, trying to get the middle modules towards the ends and vice versa. Then will do a complete Prolong charge/discharge cycle over 4-5 days and see where I stand.

Comments appreciated!

PEH

Attached Files:

ASRDogman likes this.
  6. Paul E. Highway

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pulled the HV battery out and brought inside to workbench. Removed all the modules, then reinstalled in new configuration which includes 5 refurb modules. Will put back in the car tomorrow, do the full Prolong recondition charge/discharge over 4-5 days and see where we stand.

7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope it works for you...

8. Paul E. Highway

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Update: put the HV battery back in, made all the connections, did all the frame mounting bolts finger tight in case of issues, connected the negative lead to my 12 volt battery and car started up and ran fine. Per Dr Prius app, biggest voltage difference between blocks is 0.10 V. Connected Prolong charger and will run the full charge/discharge protocol over the next 4-5 days.

1385C75B-AE25-41F5-8500-8E07CCEC0000.jpeg

ASRDogman likes this.
  9. Hi_prius3

Hi_prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Howzit going? Glad you were able to replace the bad modules and reconfigure the pack. That’s what I was planning to do also. I’m hoping it’s going to work and be better than before.

10. Paul E. Highway

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just started the second discharge. I’m tracking everything so will post the Prolong data as soon as it’s done.

Hi_prius3 and ASRDogman like this.
  11. Paul E. Highway

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Update: I’m on the final charge/balance cycle and should finish up sometime Friday afternoon. Will let pack rest a couple hours before I try to start the engine and drive around.

-Question: would it be a good idea to load test all the modules to establish a baseline after running the Prolong with my new pack configuration and 5 new modules?

-If YES, should I test right away? After driving? Next day? Any thoughts on this appreciated.

PEH

ASRDogman likes this.
  12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My "opinoion" would be to let it rest, then drive the car. They are charged and balanced, why not let the
    car start off on a good note? If you load test them, you could possibly throw them off balance.

If you get a check hybrid error, you may try bypassing the Prolong harness and connect the fan directly.
    I had that problem after I did the cycles. They did send me a new harness which I haven't been able
    to test yet.

#52 ASRDogman, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    Paul E. Highway likes this.
  13. Paul E. Highway

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK, let the car rest for a couple hours then took it out. Did about 6-8 miles without incident in 25-35mph zones. 56-mpg! Then went out on the freeway and did two 5 mile trips at 55-60mph, no issues. 42 mpg. Headed home (about 5-6 miles, city streets) feeling good with shakedown #1, started to back up my steep drive way, and got the bell, triangle of death and "check hybrid system" on the screen. Dr Prius and Carista confirmed P0A80.

Here's some data if you're interested. The Prolong data is a pdf below. I may try disconnecting the Prolong harness and doing the same driving route tomorrow, just for fun.

Dr Prius 1227pm.jpg Dr Prius 1249pm.jpg Dr Prius 110pm.jpg

Attached Files:

14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I installed the replacement harness I made sure I had enough room and wire to reach bypass
    the Prolong harness should I need to in the future.
    Hopefully, attaching the fan back to original harness(bypassing the Prolong harness) everything wll be okay.

15. Hi_prius3

Hi_prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sad to hear you still got the P0A80 code after replacing the bad modules, reconfiguring the pack and using Prolong. I don’t have high hope for mine to get better now. What’s next in your plan to fix it? Or are you just going to drive it till you can’t anymore?

16. Paul E. Highway

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’m going to try bypassing the Prolong harness per ASRDogman’s post above, and then recreate my test drive from today. Hopefully I can do this Saturday morning. Will post results. We will see what happens…

#56 Paul E. Highway, Nov 20, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  17. Hi_prius3

Hi_prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hope it works!

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For what it's worth, the bus bars as they are attached for normal use put all of the modules in one series stack, interrupted by the main relays when the car is off; there is no way for any equalizing of the modules to result from that.

Sometimes people who are rebuilding batteries will shuffle the bus bars around to put the modules all in parallel to get them all to a consistent voltage. That may be where the "equalize" idea came from, but that is not how the bus bars are connected in normal operation.

19. Hi_prius3

Hi_prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is it better to equalize the modules when rebuilding the battery pack before doing the Prolong? Any thoughts on if equalizing helps the modules become closer in voltage and resistance to work better?

20. Paul E. Highway

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Update…

This morning, disconnected the Prolong harness from battery and fan and recreated my test drive from yesterday. Got home and backed up my steep driveway without issue.

About an hour later, did a 15 mile freeway run, was in a store for about 45 minutes, came out and put car in reverse and got “check hybrid system”, bell, warning lights and confirmed P0A80 code. Reset it, headed home, got another P0A80 on the freeway home.

Car felt good, got about 56 mpg around town and 42 mpg on freeway at 65mph.

Comments?

PEH