1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 Check Engine Light - Bad Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pork Adobo, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Pork Adobo

Pork Adobo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm new to this site but am enjoying all the helpful information. I am the second owner of a 2005 2ndGen Prius with 165K miles. I purchased the car 3 years ago from an estate sale. The car sat unused for a couple of months during the settlement of the estate but I couldn't say no to the price(3K). This probably degraded the battery. During the last 3 years mileage was around 42-43mpg with mixed city/hwy driving.

Because of the shelter in place, it's been driven a lot less, as a result I had to replace the 12V aux battery a couple of months ago. Last week, I took it out on a hot day and got the dreaded check engine light with a A80 code. I had used a grid charger on a Civic hybrid with some positive results a few years ago, so I purchased the Maxx volts on ebay. I charged the battery for 20 hrs going from 231volts to 241volts. The car still gave up the A80 code along with a P3013 code. I then downloaded Torque Pro using the BAFX OBD2 reader and got the results pictured.

After reading many threads about what to do next, I'm leaning towards buying a new dealership pack as I intend to keep this car till it dies. I live in the SF bay area and did a price search for a new pack. Most dealership websites make you fill out a request form but a few let you order from the site. I've found Marin has the best price so far. My plan is to buy it, pay the core, bring it home to install and then return the battery. I will update with my results, but thanks in advance for any comments and feedback!

Attached Files:

2. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Block 3 is bad. Test the voltages of them and replace the lower of the two or both.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Pork Adobo recently wrote:
    I'm leaning towards buying a new dealership pack as I intend to keep this car till it dies.

If you're looking for ultimate reliability, then you are, without a doubt, making the right choice by going with a new OEM battery pack. Just make sure you swap all the required components and you'll be set for the next 10-15 years with a trouble-free HV Battery.

Living in California, you're pretty much at the mercy of catalytic converter thieves. For long term "peace of mind" you should probably look into having some type of protection device installed to prevent it's removal in the middle of the night or while it's in a parking lot.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Pork Adobo

Pork Adobo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Very true, I installed the Cat Security aluminum plate shield a couple of months ago, another quarantine project.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.