1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 "Check Hybrid System" but no RTOD after fan cleaning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by model464, Aug 25, 2020.

1. model464

model464 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Last night I finally cleaned the filthy HV battery fan on my 2010. This morning I got a "Check Hybrid System" warning about a minute after startup. I pulled over and read the fault codes with the Torque, Dr Prius, and Carista apps on a Carista adapter. All returned a P0A80, but I'm confused because I didn't have a RTOD.

The following lights did turn on along with the warning, as named in the manual:

Master warning
    Slip indicator
    Malfunction indicator lamp
    ABS warning
    Brake system warning

(I'll try to attach a photo with these circled in red)

After I cleared the code with Dr Prius, the idiot lights turned off; Torque didn't detect the code anymore but Dr Prius and Carista still did. I tried clearing the code with Carista and it said "error successfully reset but came back on".

Did a Dr Prius life test for good measure and it returned ~12% life remaining. I already figured I'd soon need a new battery based on previous Dr Prius tests and observed battery performance.

Hypothesis: It isn't a real live HV battery failure and I can keep driving (100mi/day as a delivery contractor), but I should plan to proactively replace my battery soon.

If so, I feel like an idiot for calling in to work today for nothing, but I can't be sure because I'm a noob...

bisco likes this.
  2. model464

model464 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Here are the idiot lights I mentioned in the initial post:

Attached Files:

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

can you run a cell check with dr. prius?