1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 Code at Shop, Codes all Clear at Home

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dc_priuslover, Mar 9, 2019.

1. dc_priuslover

dc_priuslover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So my 2005 Prius got the dreaded red car + exclamation point plus red warning triangle and check engine light cluster. Mechanic checked and confirmed the POA80 code. I drove the car back home, stopped somewhere to buy something, restarted the car - still saw the warning / check engine lights - drove all the way home and parked. Car drove without any issues.

Later, I go out to check the 12V battery level using the double-tap power, hold info + flick the lights 3 times method. Reads about 11.7V in accessories mode, seems fine. Shut the car off and restart.

... and now all of the warning / errors lights are off. Did I somehow unintentionally reset them? Or did the problem go away somehow? I test drove the car for an hour afterwards and everything seems to be running fine.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe it's on the edge. how many miles on her?

3. dc_priuslover

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    She's got 177k miles, so I'm pretty sure the battery is getting close. I'm wondering if I should wait for the code to pop up again, or just bite the bullet and do the battery since it's probably going to completely go within the next month or so, I'm guessing.

bisco likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may have reset them. I

f you are DIY you may want to consider the battery kit from @2k1Toaster for $1600 including shipping. The website is in my signature.

5. dc_priuslover

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to figure out. I didn't *do* anything to reset the codes, as I don't even have an OBD reader (yet - getting it tomorrow). Maybe they reset them at the shop where I got the codes read, though I don't understand why the codes wouldn't reset the first time I restarted the car and why it would take three or four restarts.

I'll check out the battery kit. Weighing my options, not sure how long we're going to still be driving the grandpa Prius. Thank you, though.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a new battery is a big investment in an old car. you can replace cells, but it will just keep happening. you can try a grid charger, but they aren't cheap.

then there are other expensive systems that might fail, but that's pretty low mileage.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the car is in otherwise good shape and you determine that it is really the HV battery, you might think about that kit that @Prodigyplace mentioned. The car is middle aged or maybe late middle age, so perhaps not a good place to put a new Toyota battery. But if you like to diy, this kit is a pretty good way to go. Either that or an intact nearly new battery from a wreck. But they're kind of hard to find.