1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 code checked battery voltages and show good, now what

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Alan2010gen3, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Alan2010gen3

Alan2010gen3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello all,

My first thread and Prius.

I just purchased a 2010 Prius with 230K miles. Drove it home even though it had a P0A80 code.

I purchase it from the original owner and planned on "fixing" the battery.

I replaced 3 cells in a friends Gen II and it has worked great every since.

When testing my friends Gen II cells, 3 stuck out with at least 0.5 less volts than the others.

I pulled this Gen III pack out and all the cells were withing .06 volts (7.95-8.01).

There was some corrosion on the bus bars, but all contacting areas in including the sensor connectors appeared good.

The fan and ducting was ok.

After helping my friend, I figured this an easy fix........................................................

What would you suggest for the next step?

Thank you in advance for your help and time!

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some ideas:
    - With battery properly mounted in the car, watch the voltage data live with an app or Techstream to see what is happening under load.
    - Record the data and analyze it for anomalies.
    - Look at other info like delta SOC to see if there are other issues at play.

- Take the battery out and inspect it on the bench.
    - Look very carefully every voltage sensing wire. Probing them vigorously at the crimp connections.
    - Check for corrosion at the connector that goes into the hybrid battery computer, including the pins of the computer itself.
    - Check the terminals to be sure they are properly torqued.
    - Load test individual cells and see if there is variance.

Raytheeagle likes this.