1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aryabasu, Feb 28, 2019.

1. aryabasu

aryabasu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,
    This morning, I got a P0A80 with the red triangle and few other dash lights came on. I have a Prius 2004.
    After sometime, it was just the check engine MIL on. After some more time, all lights are gone.

I am wondering as to what is happening? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Arya Basu.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

You may be in the earlier stages of "HV battery failure" (or the related components). The car will tell you something is wrong by throwing DTCs (codes), depending on the problem some will stick and others may go away on their own, or after you restart the vehicle a few times. Though false positives are possible, all DTCs should be recorded and troubleshot before potential problems get out of hand.

Was DTC P0A80 the only code offered?

How are you reading the DTCs currently?

When was the last time the 12v was serviced or replaced?

A good idea might be to dig into the HV battery and have a look/see, or at least clean up the HV battery fan as preventative maintenance.

3. aryabasu

aryabasu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the quick response.

Was DTC P0A80 the only code offered?
    Yes.

How are you reading the DTCs currently?
    A simple OBD reader.

When was the last time the 12v was serviced or replaced?
    It is the original battery. So never.

A good idea might be to dig into the HV battery and have a look/see, or at least clean up the HV battery fan as preventative maintenance.
    How can I do that?

Vanntek likes this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your simple reader may not be hybrid compatible, leaving behind codes that it cannot read. Look into finding a compatible reader first. Then see if other codes are offered/retrieved that may help in pinpointing the potential problem more accurately.

If the 12v has never been replaced, now would be a great time to do such. When the 12v dies or is replaced you will lose the stored DTCs.

There are threads here (use the search feature), and youtube videos that explain how to clean the fan or how to remove the HV battery.

edit: spelling and content

#4 SFO, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.