1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 - fix or sell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mark Murphy, Sep 24, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have cleared a P0A80 5 times in past month on my 2007 Gen II. The car is on its 3rd reconditioned battery in 80k miles.

Reconditioned battery 1: 5/1/18 201450, just before I bought the car

Reconditioned battery 2: 11/1/19

Reconditioned battery 3: 11/5/ 21. Warranty replacement.

Now having problems again 9/20/22 at 281450 miles

Dr Prius reports.

Full Battery test: Battery running warm, poor balance block #5

Life test: 40.5% capacity left. Bad condition but will still run. I understand this number can vary a lot. When I did the test the battery temp was about 120f.

The battery monitor is showing yellow bars during normal cruising and lots of yellow and red when braking.

SOC during good running is 50-67%. When a code is tossed, the SOC will go from 57% to 25% in about a minute. It can happen going up a hill or on the flat.

A dealer installed a new battery fan and filter one month ago, replacing a very dirty one. I've used Dr Prius app to cause the fan to go high at a lower temperature. I can hear the transition. There was a TSB to put a filter in front of the fan but that was not addressed until now.

Is something killing them fast? Perhaps the clogged fan has been causing them to run at elevated temperature. Or is it a problem with the ECU, inverter/converter or other?

I'm kind of at a fix or sell point.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I never win a recondition battery route for my Gen 2 when the battery fell on its face after nearly 20 years to 09 original battery this is about 10 months ago. Replaced with dealer new and have it looked back and the reason for that may be because of the new part. A lot of people that I know have not made well on the recondition things add to that poor fan performance before and the very dirty fan and possible overheating problems certainly doesn't help sell I wouldn't know I don't ever sell mine and get parted out the parts go on another car maybe but sell now I have a drawer full of titles here stuff that's never been sold I can buy a Prius and run it on a title if it doesn't have one always save them

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    that's fairly typical for reconditioned batteries. you could go with a new one if you can find one, or just keep replacing them every couple years.
    if you can afford to buy a new(er) car, that's the route i would go, but there's still a lot of life at 280k, if it doesn't burn much oil.
    then you have the brake actuator and stolen cat problems to consider

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seen this statement made in several post by the same member.

I kind of wonder how you get twenty years use from a '09. By my calculations it can't be more than 12-13 years of service.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm old as dirt. If 6 years is enough to worry with . SO bes it i also have 04 06 and a dead gen1 now .. my 13 persona battery failed at 5.5 years not soo good.