1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 on a 2007 HyCam

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by srivenkat, Jul 11, 2018.

1. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hello All,

I have a 2007 HyCam that threw up P0A80 a couple of weeks back. I took it to the dealer and attached is the Techstream sheet they gave me. They are recommending an HV battery replacement. Block 9 shows 12.16 volts. Does this mean the battery is on its last legs?

I have ordered the Prolong Value Reconditioning package in hopes the battery could be reconditioned. Curious to see if folks here have any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Block 9 is the current issue, but block 11 doesn’t look far behind :(.

If purchasing the Prolong equipment, you’ll be getting into the battery area, so I would take a multimeter and check the voltages of the modules in blocks 9 and 11 and see what you get. Those blocks should have 1 of the 2 modules showing a lower voltage, indicating a bad cell in one of them;).

Swap the bad ones out and then recondition the pack:).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

srivenkat likes this.
  3. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks. If I try the 3 cycle reconditioning on the pack as it is, would it negatively affect the other modules/cells?

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If the module is failed (a bad cell), reconditioning won’t help it ;).

So all you will do is expend electricity and spend some additional time :whistle:.

But give it a shot and see what happens (y).

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suggest buying another battery, don't spend the money on prolong

6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Compared the cost of buying the charger, and the pack. Which one makes you more comfortable?

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    O would not recommend trying to put the charger on a module that you already know has failed. It will cause even more damage to the module possibly resulting in damage to other portions of the pack as well. Seriously. Don't do it.

Charger is fine for a battery that has not failed yet.
    Not good for batteries with know shorts/failure.

8. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi Eric,

By the failed module, are you referring to a module in Block 9 as it stands now? IOW, Should I consider it failed already as Raytheeagle points out there could be a bad cell in there? What other blocks could have bad cells already apart from block 11?

Thanks in advance.

9. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Also, a general question regarding grid chargers. My 2007 HyCam is at 122K miles. If I replace the failed modules and go thru periodic reconditioning, balancing, etc., what are the chances the battery will be good for the next 5 years?

Thanks in advance.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Camry seems to be really hard on the battery, more so than in a Prius. The Prolong system is a band aid to buy extra time, 5 more years is asking for a lot of time.

If you're looking for 5 years, I would definitely save the money from the prolong and buying new battery instead. You don't want to end up buying prolong AND battery when the old one craps out again

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'd guess nearly impossible simply because the pack already has bad modules. If you would have started sooner...... maybe and I only say that because you are up north.

I (now) realize camry packs are even more expensive than prius batts so I understand trying to avoid purchasing a new pack. I think finding and installing a newer, used pack and beginning a grid charging routine would get you to 5 years for the lowest costs.

12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What no one here has mentioned yet, is that NOT A SINGLE ONE of the blocks is over 14 volts. The nominal module voltage (at minimal useable charge) is 7.2 volts each, so every block should be at least 14.4 volts.

So there's some potential things going on here. Was the battery severely discharged, maybe due to the engine not starting? Has the car sat for a long, extended period of non-use. Something allowed this battery to discharge way beyond it's normal range.

That being said, I find it totally normal that one or more modules would be discharged to the point of 6.3v or less.

With this in mind, I have had complete battery packs (cores from wrecks that have sat for a year+), that are heavily discharged, but fairly evenly discharged (like this one) where every single module recovered to normal function.

Considering the price of a HyCam battery, I would say trying the Prolong may be a financially reasonable thing to attempt. It can always be resold to gain back most of the cost.

If you have been driving this car normally, and then "a few weeks back" it dropped a P0A80, and in those few short weeks it has self discharged to the current levels, then I would certainly say this battery has seen better days and odds are slim a prolong (or any cycling) would make any significant improvement.

So how long is "a few weeks back"?

#12 TMR-JWAP, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tmr-jeap,
    That was my next point. Thanks whole pack looks iffy.

Srivenkat, give me a call and we can discuss. There is more details that seem to be missing. Like how/why is everything so low.

14. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks All for your input and advice. Here's the timeline of events:

June 29th (15 days back) I returned from a trip in the morning with high AC use, drawing the battery down to 2 bars by the time I brought the car into the garage, causing the engine to come on (like it always does when the SOC is down to 2 bars). As I happened to be in a hurry, I switched off the car, without waiting for the engine to bring up the SOC and stop running.

Later that afternoon, I put the car in READY, and before the engine started for S1, I switched on the AC High and backed out of the garage onto the street, which is when the engine came on like it always does. As soon as the engine came on, the dashboard lit up with CEL, Check Hybrid System, VSC, etc. I proceeded with the trip with the dashboard lit up, as I was dropping someone at a bus stop for their out-of-town trip, and I was short on time to call a Taxi.

My guess is that the SOC already at 2 bars (and left there by premature switching off of the engine) was further dragged down by the AC-High and backing out of the garage before the engine started and the dashboard lit up. Could this cause the low volts seen in the report.

The car was taken to the dealer 4 days later, on July 2nd. The techstream report is from the dealer.

I brought the car home and cleared the code P0A80 with my ScanGauge II and started driving it as normal. The SOC bars keep going up and down as normal; I haven't seen anything abnormal there, yet. Should I desist from driving the car if I plan to recondition it using Prolong?

I am also going to try the Hybrid Assistant health check this afternoon and report back. I heard it gives a report with block voltages.

Eric: I will post the HybridAssistant report as well and then call you so your time is better utilized with more info.

Thanks again.

15. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds good.
    Talking on the phone is going to be quicker for me.
    I'm hosting a National get-together of Honda Insight owners this weekend. So hopefully we can connect.
    I'm happy to help with some input for whatever it's worth.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Here's the Hybrid Assistant HV health check report based on the test they specified at: Hybrid Assistant: HV Battery Check

Eric: Will call you in 20 minutes. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Cyvan likes this.
  17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    About 3 minutes or so of life discharging at 10 amps, going from 60% SOC to engine start (typically around 42%) isn't horrible, but the battery is showing it's age. It's interesting to see that the graphs back up the earlier symptoms of block 9 being your limiting block. All other blocks are grouped fairly well and consistently track with each other during the discharge. Block 9, on the other hand, tapers off a bit more quickly, but not as badly as some I've seen.

Is it a drivable car ? I believe so, but definitely something to keep track of. Hybrid Assistant will let you do that. Load test it just like you did, about every week or two so you can keep track of that weak block and have a heads up if it's taking a turn for the worse. You have time to make a plan.

After this experience, I'd be a bit more aware of how I managed my AC and SOC prior to parking the car.

18. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    In light of what you mentioned above, I am concerned that even in the Hybrid Assistant report, not a single block is at/above 14.4V. I am curious if you have any additional observations based on other factors in the report.

Thanks in advance.

19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Actually, the blocks were all around 16 v give or take a bit when you started the discharge. At the end of the discharge, they were showing <14 as minimum observed, but that also includes the load surge when the engine was started.

I don't see anything that's truly alarming on the discharge graph, other than block 9 being your limiting item. Like I said, all the other blocks are tracking with each other pretty well. Block 9, by itself, accounts for about half of the delta v at the end of the discharge.. (highest block-lowest block). If block 9 can get "more healthy" the delta v will tighten up a lot.

Look for the thread titled "just another hv battery thread and experiments". It has a discussion/example of a very similar situation.

srivenkat likes this.
  20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That battery is probably toast, many Camry batteries wear down like that. Not sure why the car is so hard on them.

The risk of buying modules online is that you'll end up with Camry modules