1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 Without Battery Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hailey!, Feb 23, 2023.

1. hailey!

hailey! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello!

Please excuse my rambling and any incorrect information I give as I am not the greatest with cars.

I got my 2010 Prius, with a little over 94k miles, five months ago. Last week I had the "Check hybrid system" display, after noticing there was a few second delay between pressing the gas and accelerating, and had the codes read. I got back P0107 and the dreaded P0A80.

I'm tight on money and can't afford a new hybrid battery so I decided to fix it with my brother and I. After removing the battery, each cell either read 7.7 or 7.8 volts. The bus bars had severe corrosion, there was evidence of a roach infestation, and there was just a general grime that may have triggered the code.

After I give it a good cleaning, including the attached blower, is there anything I should do to ensure that my battery is good to go?

Thank you for any help!

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should load test and balance the cells if you want to do it right.

the corrosion may be the problem, but you won't know until you put it back together.

that may be a decent strategy though, since tearing it down the second time, if you have to, goes much more quickly.

when you're cleaning the fan, check the connection there for corrosion as well.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Getting an OBD2 reader: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus and using Dr. Prius app to monitor your battery while driving will help you diagnose. Eventually you'll get a bad module and you can replace it for $35 now that you know how to pull the pack and work on it on your own.

You'll also want to build a charger-discharger to charge, balance and recondition your pack: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat

As for P0107, that's an engine issue not related to your battery pack. Probably an old legacy error code from a long ago glitch unless it comes back:

upload_2023-2-24_13-32-20.png

4. hailey!

hailey! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for the information! I ended up just cleaning it and installing it back in, and so far it works!

bisco likes this.
  5. hailey!

hailey! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for the recommendations! For now, I settled with cleaning it and it works so far! I'll definitely look into the maintenance kit and the diagnostic tool!