1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A92 code after replacing hv battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Michael K, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Michael K

Michael K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so I had the battery replaced last night (Came with an 18 month warranty). Drove it around the block and the dash lit up like a christmas tree again... After much cursing and throwing things, I pulled out my simple scanner and pulled only 1 code: P0A92. A quick google search took me to a bad MG1... aka replace transaxle.

Today (as I type), my wife has the car at the Toyota dealership for a full diagnostic and to pull the subcodes (I want to know if there is anything else I need to replace while the whole engine is out. I have already found a replacement tranny for $136. Donor car was 2005 with 120k. I will be doing a fluid change when I install it but are there any gremlins that I should look for when purchasing this unusually cheap transmission. (comes with a 101 day warranty)

Question about why this would have happened: We purchased the car with a bad hv battery and knew it would need replaced. I had pulled the codes before buying the car and there were none listed for the transaxle. Only battery codes. The first mechanic we tried to get the battery replaced by said he was a "prius expert" and said that driving the car with a dead hv battery would be ok. Was this bad advice on his part or was the failings of the transmission due to some other issue that just didn't come up? We drove about 200 miles with the bad hv battery (mostly highway).

I am confident that I will be able to replace the transmission (not my first whole engine drop). I will try to remember to take pictures but usually forget when I am on a role with something.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please post all the DTC's and INF data you get from Toyota to make a better determination. I would not think the failed HV battery would cause transaxle failure unless it was already having some issues perhaps, ones that were intermittent and were cleared from the ECU by the seller. You would do well to get the mini VCI for further work on the car.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That mechanic obviously was not a Toyota hybrid expert. A weak traction battery forces the gasoline engine to work harder. MG1 also will be spinning up more. However considering the 256K mile odometer reading of your car, it is really not surprising that the transaxle failed, others have reported failure at lower miles than your car has logged. That is way past design end of life.

4. Michael K

Michael K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the codes that Toyota pulled from the car:

P0A7A/303
    P0A92
    P0446/526

The p0446 is a gas cap type issue it appears. The P0a7a is inverter performance and p0a92 is MG1. The dealership stated that it is the transmission and possibly the inverter. I am replacing the transmission this weekend and if still not fixed, the inverter.

Is there anything I should be asking a salvage yard about the transaxle or be looking for when I get one? (besides the miles)

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0446 could be a loose gas cap - or could be some other fault in the evaporative emissions system.

I agree that it makes sense to first replace the transaxle and see what happens. If you are lucky the inverter will be good - if not, you will see that replacing the inverter is a minor activity compared to the transaxle. You'll need to remove the inverter for transaxle access.

I recommend that you obtain repair manual info at techinfo.toyota.com, especially when it comes to issues like removing the inverter, so you'll have access to the safety precautions required. The manual provides a procedure to remove the transaxle while the engine remains in place, that potentially can save you some time.

I would try to avoid a transaxle taken from a car that suffered a front-end accident. Inspect the case carefully and refuse any transaxle that shows any signs of physical damage.

6. Michael K

Michael K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I looked at the manual. $15 seems pretty cheap for the 2 days i will need it. I want the downloadable version but can't find anyone that has it. I am also following this thread: DIY: How to remove GenII Transmission | PriusChat It is VERY detailed.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Mike,

Send me a PM with your email address and I can email you the sections you require.

JeffD

SFO likes this.
  8. taylor_priusII

taylor_priusII New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. Michael K

Michael K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finished replacing the transmission. It took about 8 hours with myself, my dad and my friend. Only thing we had an issue with was pulling the axles but once we got the tranny out, they were easy to remove. I have to say, I would do it again if necessary, I just HOPE that I never do!

10. Pelagius

Pelagius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First post here, I have the exact same problem right now. I bought a Prius, changed the battery and now I have a P0a92 code. Did changing the transmission solve the problem? How hard is it compared to a non-hybrid? Also, how did you find a transmission so cheap? best I can find is $300+ on ebay but haven't looked much.

11. Michael K

Michael K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the forum! Yes, changing the transmission/transaxle (whatever you wanna call it) did solve my problem. I have put over 300 miles on the car since replacing it and I'm getting almost 50 mpg to and from work.

Replacing it was pretty simple for someone with the knowledge to do things like that. It took me 8 hours from start to finish with help of 2 people. It was way easier than replace the engine in my 1994 accord and also still easier than replacing the transmission in my 2000 dodge durango. There are no bolts that require any additional equipment to get to like most transmission jobs and not having a torque converter makes things super easy.

Finding the transaxle was pretty simple if you have any salvage yards in your area. I found one on ebay and then found their website. On ebay they wanted $250 plus core of $75. I paid $200 and got a 1 year warranty. Make sure you get one from a wrecked prius so you know that car was in driveable condition before the accident. I'd say anything under $500 is a good deal if the miles are low. Best I found in my area was $450 and it only had 36,000 miles. I would have purchased that one but it was 5 hours away and the shipping would have been another $200. The one I got was 15 minutes from my house (they also have an inverter for when/if that goes out)

12. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    A question for those of you experiencing tranny failures. How often have you changed the ATF?

JeffD

13. Michael K

Michael K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased my prius with a bad battery and 256k. tranny was a side affect of driving on a bad battery based on what I read. The "new" tranny had 120k. upon flushing at after the install it was still pretty red so i'm guessing it was done at 100k but not sure if it was ever done before that.

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think the common denominator here is buying the car in a non functional state where other underlying problems may have been present, but not able to be detected until other repairs were completed.

Other people have reported driving the car for a while with a bad battery, and the consequent poor performance and high revving, without bricking the transmission. I'd say that the transmission fault was probably latent at the time of purchase.

SFO likes this.
  15. Pelagius

Pelagius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I'll have this fixed soon. What should I do with the broken one? I'm tempted to take it apart to see how it works but would rather get some money for it.

16. Michael K

Michael K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless the salvage yard has a core charge, you'd probably get more money if you took it apart and sold the pieces for scrap. If you try to scrap it as one unit, they will give you a mixed metal rate which is way less than separate metals. I plan on taking mine apart this weekend... I really wanna see the inside of this monster.

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you see burnt stator windings or other obvious damage, please take sharp photos and post.

18. Pelagius

Pelagius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update, I found a couple of transmissions locally, all with a 6 month warranty if installed by a shop.

$350 plus $75 core. 138,000 miles . front end crash.

$450 102,000 miles. Side crash.

$380. 126,000 miles.

I'm thinking of getting the one with lowest miles. Thoughts?

I also drained some trans fluid into a water bottle. Dealer records don't mention it ever being changed. imgur: the simple image sharer

[​IMG]

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would be a good choice as long as the case shows no physical damage from the side crash accident. For example, a front wheel being hit on its face, which forces the halfshaft into the transmission.

20. Pelagius

Pelagius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pictures of the motor are near the end. 2007 Prius - Imgur

Patrick Wong, koolingit and uart like this.