1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A93 2005 Prius 259,000+ Miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tevin, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Tevin

Tevin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    on June 10 after riding with the AC running on a hot day ( AC was blowing cold on one side and warm on the other) red triangle came on and dash lit up all the way. Took to Auto Zone to see what the problem was. The employee pulled this code. Reset the code and it drove normally around the city for about 340 miles with no issue. Jump to Saturday morning July 7th at around 11 AM, i took the hour and 26 min drive to my parents. I made it about 20 mins from my parents and the same thing happened. I arrived at my parents and they suggested that i take it back to get the code read, this time at Advanced Auto Parts, they pulled the same P0A93 code which i figured would happen. The code was cleared and drove around town fine. This morning i left my parents and took the same hour and 26 min drive back and no warning lights are anything came on the dashboard and it drove fine ( I may add it was a lot cooler than when i left Saturday). Basically I just wanted to make sure the car isn't going to have me stranded if i do have to run some errands before my appointment at the dealership this Saturday. I'm afraid that something else may be destroyed because of the bad pump

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you use google to search through this Priuschat site you can get loads of info about P0A93... The issue is your power inverter that in its simplest terms turns engine energy into electric energy gets hot and has a system to keep it cool in much the same way a car has a radiator. But the problem is Toyota bought bad pumps when they built your car and thus had a recall where they replaced pump for free. Not sure if that recall has expired yet, but if you go here: https://www.toyota.com/owners and set up your account with your VIN# they'll tell you what's up.

In the meantime if you're worried about expensive replacement job if you blow up your power inverter, refrain from driving the car when it's hot out. And if you don't have a choice you can buy a bag of ice at the store and put it on top of the power inverter in the engine compartment. Of course that's alot of water to have dripping on the electronics in your engine compartment, so use it as an emergency solution not a reason to procrastinate on getting repair done ASAP.

Lastly if recall has expired and you or a friend has experience replacing radiators or water pumps on regular cars, you won't have much problem doing the work yourself. There's plenty of posts on here that will tell you how to do that.

SFO and bisco like this.
  3. Tevin

Tevin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! The water pump was replaced under warranty in December '10 and it had a year warranty so its far gone, I only have a 10 min commute from home to work so i hope i can just limit my driving to that and keep it from blowing up before Saturday morning.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should be ok, don't drive the car hard and stay off the freeway, just use surface roads. Don't drive the car more than you have to, until it is repaired.

#4 dolj, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    JC91006 likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    10 minutes will barely warm up your car, so no issues

6. Tevin

Tevin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the helpful info!

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Unfortunately, you're probably looking at about a $500-650 dealer quote. The last one I swapped for a co-worker, she was quoted almost $650 to install a new inverter pump.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can do it for about $100. There's tons of videos on youtube on how to swap the pump by removing the driver side headlight. Even someone who has never done it before can probably do it in less than an hour.
    You can buy a Toyota pump on ebay for about $65 delivered to your door.
    You can buy a set of coolant hose clamp pliers for about $12 from Autozone (they have small medium and large in a pack, get 2 packs so you have 2 mediums)
    You can buy new plastic rivets from Autozone for about 8 bucks.
    You'll need a few ounces of coolant. SLLC (pink stuff) for your car.
    You'll need a set of metric sockets and a ratchet.
    You'll need to remove some plastic rivets holding the front bumper cover on the driver side.

If you watch some videos and believe it's a bit over your skill set, then I would look at buying the pump and having another mechanic install it. Post an ad on craigslist that you're looking for someone familiar with Prius inverter pumps to replace it for a side job. Probably plenty of Toyota mechanics that would do it on the side for a hundo.