1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A93 and P010A codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MR MR, Jul 21, 2019.

1. MR MR

MR MR New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    2005 Prius 189K

On Friday, my son (#1) was driving my only car, the 2005 Prius, up north for the weekend. It was very hot and humid for Wisconsin around 105 degree heat index. About 12 miles out of town, several things starting happening:
    - Multiple warnings lights came on (check engine, master warning, brake & ABS)
    - Constant beeping
    - Brakes seemed to require more pressure. He thought maybe it was braking more on one side.
    - AC fan pressure seemed to decrease
    - Once the car switched automatically to neutral
    He stopped the car and called myself and my other son (#2).

Son #2 went to help him and swapped vehicles with him. Son #1 continued up north (in a vehicle that gets 12 MPG). Son #2 looked over several things (coolant level, and others). Son #2 drove the car slowly about 6 miles to a place off the highway and left it there on a side street.

I had purchased an OBD2 reader last fall, but had never used it. On Saturday, I biked to the car and plugged in the reader. At this time the brake warning lights were off, but the check engine & master warning lights were still on. I tried two different apps. The first app reported P0A93. I drove the car to other side of the road to get in the shade. The second app reported reported codes P0A93 and P010A. After the using the second app, the warning lights on the dash went away. I didn't do anything on purpose to clear the warning lights (not sure I could do that, but I've never used OBD before). I drove the car about a block and everything seemed fine so I drove it home slowly, going on side streets.

Today (Sunday) I ran the OBD2 reader again and the codes P0A93 and P010A are still being reported. There are no warning lights on the dash. I've never had any problems like this in the past. The 12V battery was replaced about 15 months ago.

I should note that for the last year, the speedometer part of the dash will go out sometimes, but will eventually come back on. When I turned the car on today (Sun), I did see the check engine light come on briefly and then go out, so I believe the warning lights part of the dash is still functioning even though the speedometer part is not.

So the questions:
    1: Could some or all of the problems be related to the extreme heat on Friday?
    2: From what I found online the codes mean:
    P0A93 - High voltage system may overheat is defined as a Inverter "A" Cooling System Performance
    P010A - Mass or Volume Air Flow "B" Circuit Malfunction
    What does that mean translated to a non-technical person?
    3: Does the presence of the codes now indicate a current problem or a past problem?
    4: What should next steps be?

Thanks much for any suggestions.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. The inverter pump has failed, common issue after around 100k miles of use on the pump (probably last replaced during the recall). Just replace the pump, easy DIY repair. Many Youtube videos available.

2. Check your engine air filter, clean your MAF sensor and throttle body.

SFO, MR MR and James1964 like this.
  3. MR MR

MR MR New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you very much for the response!
    1. I see the inverter pumps vary greatly in cost from Amazon. Is there a reliable replacement pump or would you recommend going with genuine Toyota?
    2. When I replace it, do I need to clear the fault codes or will they clear automatically?
    3. Since there are no visible warning lights and the car seemed to be ok driving the few miles back to the house, is it ok to drive the car minimally until the replacement part arrives?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Without replacing the pump, you can safely drive a few miles (10-15) when the engine is cold. Nothing will get hot that quickly unless the car is already hot to begin with.

When the car cools, the lights often go off on their own. Then reappear when it detects the car is too hot and the pump is not working.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The one I got last year is showing N/A on Amazon ...I have no idea if the other ones are the same unit

G9020-47031 Engine Coolant Inverter Electric Water Pump Assembly with Bracket for 2004-2009 Toyota Prius Hybrid 1.5L, Replaces G9020-47031 and 04000-32528
    by OrionMotorTech
    81 customer reviews
    | 17 answered questions
    Currently unavailable.

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quality varies greatly among these pumps. Stick with the longest lasting one, Toyota Factory. And change the coolant when you change the pump. Use the Toyota factory for that too.

For the other code read up here on how to clean the MAF and the throttle body.

7. MR MR

MR MR New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks everyone for your help.