1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A93 and P1123 solution?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sr79, Sep 5, 2016.

1. sr79

sr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just came by my 05 prius with 103K miles two months ago. It has been running fine but all of a sudden while driving today, a ton of lights came on. I show the Red Exclamation Triangle, Check Engine, and a yellow exclamation in a circle (is that ABS?). On my MFD, I see a red car with an exclamation point in the top left corner. The car does sound a bit strange now. I fear this may be the Hybrid Battery but I am not sure as I was under the impression these batteries lasted 200k+ miles.

I used this forum (Link: Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat) to put my display in maintenance mode to look at the 12V battery. I checked the Volts at each phase of start up. It was within the parameters outlined in the topic.

My Action Plan is 1) Buy a scan gauge 2) to review the codes and post them here 3) Source some prices for Hybrid batteries (any pointers? I have only seen green tech auto) 4) Review the process for cell by cell repair and rebalancing.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! start with a dealer code reading, or purchase a tech stream software product to get the correct codes.
    if it is the battery, 100k in texas is not that unusual, but 200k is not the norm, although many do reach that and beyond.

3. sr79

sr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will using a place like Autozone yield the correct codes or does it have to be a dealer?

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could possibly be the Brake Actuator problem which you would be lucky is an extended coverage issue. But yes a dealer is needed to get the warranty coverage.

If its the hybrid battery, well still dealer can be a good path. You may or may not be able to bargain (with Toyota USA not the dealer) for discount on the batt. You can walk if you don't get a deal, but this all takes a little time to sort out...BTW good TX battery services here on Prius Chat they will help you

Brake Actuator Assem - Warranty Enhancement | PriusChat

#4 wjtracy, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some codes can be retrieved at auto zone for free, if you want to start there. if they aren't detailed enough, then it's off to the dealer.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  7. sr79

sr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went and got the scanner and here were my codes: P0A93 and P1121. These appear to be Inverter Cooling system performance and Coolant Flow Control Valve Position Sensor Stack. Seems like it is not the battery, which surprises me because the car and exclamation point icon is on the MFD. Are these the codes covered in the warranty recall from 2013?

I am a little concerned it is more than the pump as I hear an odd sound now when i start the car (sounds like someone shaking a can of coffee beans). and just want to make sure I buy the right parts for repairs.

#7 sr79, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  8. sr79

sr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced both the inverter pump and 3 way cooling valve. All the lights were gone but for the check engine light. After turning it on and running the vehicle for about 10 minutes (max speed 40 mph over 5 miles). The master warning light, check engine were on as well as a thermometer sign on the MFD. The car seemed to be running fine. I parked it and realized the other reservoir of coolant was empty and poured coolant directly inside it Should it be good now?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is the other reservoir?

10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No. All is not well.

You have air in the engine cooling loop. The 3-way coolant control valve is tied to the engine cooling loop. Replacement of this part drained some coolant out of the engine loop, and also introduced air into this loop. All of his is reinforced by the warning lights, inferred empty engine coolant overflow bottle, inferred low coolant level inside the radiator, and no statement that you bleed air out of the engine cooling loop (at least not completely).

Inverter pump handles the Inverter cooling loop. It is separate of the engine cooling loop. The radiator itself has 2 cooling cores. IIRC, the upper half is engine, bottom half is inverter. The inverter pump is easy to replace and easy to bleed air out of the inverter cooling loop, w/o affecting the engine cooling loop.

It appears you do not have an air lift tool, which makes refilling any cooling system, EASY. Read these two threads to bleed air out of the engine cooling loop.
    How to replace engine coolant pump and thermostat | PriusChat
    Changing engine coolant | PriusChat

11. sr79

sr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you. I did not bleed the system. In these threads i see how to bleed the inverter system but not the engine cooling system. Is there a separate valve for the engine cooling system. I googled around and saw a method where you use a multimeter to monitor the water pump current and use a valve that is on the side of the radiator pointed toward the driver seat. Is that right?

12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    IIRC, engine loop has 3 drain valves: radiator, engine block, CHRS tank. IIRC, one or two engine loop bleeder nipples; I don't have to bother with this b/c I use the Air Lift.

Your questions about multimeter, (electric) water pump, and others that you don't know you need to ask, are answered in the two links provided in post #10. FYI, people have used a multimeter or a jumper wire to force the CHRS pump to activate (a few seconds at a time, say 10-20) to help purge air out of the CHRS loop, whicb is a branch off the engine loop. I don't have to deal with this b/c of the airlift tool.

You will be better off getting a two (business) day subscription to Toyota TIS (Technical Information System), for $15. You will have access to the factory manual. It is an invaluable investment, just like getting the hacked Techstream and mini VCI. Pretty much any and all of your questions on "How do I ...," will be answered. Good diagrams, torque values, diagnosis codes, decent step by step instructions, trouble shooting trees; far superior to Haynes/Chilton. Supposedly if you start your subscription on a Friday (say 5PM), it will end on Monday (4:59PM). Copies of the manual are supposedly floating around in cyberspace. $15 is a small price to pay to for an authentic copy; who knows if the copies floating around have not been maliciously altered.

This person discovered how to save the CHM format into a PDF format. Toyota TIS download tips | PriusChat More power to you if you know how to preserve the CHM format.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you replace with an oem Toyota pump? They have been out of stock of that pump for about a month now

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.