1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A93 Code on Highway

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sammyrocker5150, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Sammyrocker5150

Sammyrocker5150 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi all,

Very quickly first. Thank all of you for a great forum. I have lurked here for so much useful information.

My wife and I have an 09 Prius with 72,000 miles. It has a 2.5 year old O'Reilly AGM replacement battery in it with no historical maintenance issues.

She drives about 18 miles on the interstate for work each day. On monday on the way home, it was in the high 80's outside, she was going about 73 mph with the air on and got a lot of lights on the dash shortly before arriving home.

When she got home I scanned the codes:
    P0A93 Inverter A Cooling System Performance
    C1241 Low Batter Positive Voltage or Abnormally High Battery Positive Voltage
    C1242 Open Circuit In IG2 Circuit

I used all the great posts here and tested the Inverter pump by letting the system cool, popping the reservoir and hitting power twice. I could hear and see the pump working no problem.

I then tested resting battery voltage via the Display+headlights three times trick and it was sitting at 12.1 volts this was about 1.5 hours after returning home. I reset the codes and took it on a 15 minute drive with no issue. After returning home i immediately tested resting voltage and got 12.4 volts. The next day I had her test it before she left to go home and got 12.4 volts.

Today on the way home from work again we have the same issue with only the P0A93 code.
    30 minutes after returning home, resting voltage on the touch display was 12.4v. If i ran medium ac and headlights it was 11.7. the pump is again still working.

Any guidance? Is it a battery?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The failure is the inverter pump. Although you may see it working, it's only working intermittently. That's the reason for the failure code. Change that out and you will have a reliable car once again. It's not your battery

SFO and m.wynn like this.
  3. Sammyrocker5150

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Can these have an intermittancy? I had thought they failed completely. Thank you so much for the insight. I looked up our VIN with Toyota on recalls and the pump recall is still out there on this one. I hope there's a chance that will cover it

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally, the OEM ones don't fail intermittently, but the aftermarket ones can and do.

P0A93 can also set if the No. 2 cooling fan motor is not working. The INF code for this 347.

If it is the inverter coolant pump as suggested above, the INF code will be 346.

It could also be a problem with the wiring harness or the connector.

Nine times out of ten it is the pump, though.

#4 dolj, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Sammyrocker5150 likes this.
  5. Sammyrocker5150

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    thanks as well for taking the time to reply. I thought this would be the case and I appreciate some guidance. Luckily I was able to cold call the local Toyota dealership and they agreed to replace it under the recall from 9 years ago. This car never had it. Its original owner was in their 90's and bought it new in 09. We bought it from our friend, their son, in 2016 with only 11,000 miles so they never took it anywhere or had any recalls done!