1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0a93 code on road trip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Metrolens, May 25, 2019.

1. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, I am on a road trip and just got a red triangle, check engine light, out of nowhere. Also the red car with exclamation point in the MFD. OBD2 shows a P0a93 code, which I learned is the water inverter.

Is the car safe to drive for the day, or does it need immediate repair? I'm around 100 miles from home so this is an issue.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Most likely the inverter pump has gone out which keeps the inverter from overheating. 100 miles is too far to drive in this condition. The pump is not expensive to change out when DIY but being on the road you may have little choice but to use a dealership $$$.

If it is the inverter, that is a major expense and not a roadside repair.

GOOD LUCK!

Metrolens likes this.
  3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Best to get OEM inverter pumps; last longer. There are postings of people who have bought after market pumps, only having to do the repair again.

You should search online for Toyota dealer discount coupons, to save a little money. If you belong to AAA, Costco, or AmEx, there are Toyota service/parts discount coupons.

The only upside w/ this emergency repair is the inverter pumps lasts a long time. 100K+ miles! READ to see how long some people got on their original inverter pump. Inverter pump life? | PriusChat

For reference, here's a how-to inverter pump replacement. How to Replace the Inverter Coolant Pump | PriusChat
    I would probably follow Patrick's recommendation of replacing the inverter pump at 100k miles; ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Metrolens and Marcan1984 like this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Metro,

That's about $500 at a dealership. If you have a location to work at, or a friend in the area, you can buy the pump at an Autozone for about $140 (?), a set of hose clamping pliers (you'll need 2 mediums) and a metric socket kit and a long (ish) extension. Remove the driverside headlight and swap the pump yourself. If you do it right you'll only lose about 3-4 ounces of fluid. watch a few you tube videos first and you'll see how easy it can be.

Metrolens likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the temperature is not that hot outside, you should be able to drive a good distance without the pump working. I knew a guy that drove an entire hour with that pump out and nothing bad happened.

Metrolens likes this.
  6. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

The good news is, I was able to complete the road trip yesterday without a problem. I spoke with my mechanic shortly after posting, who said basically what JC91006 says above. It wasn't hot yesterday, and I drove gently, not going faster than 55 MPH, and not letting the engine rev too high on hills, to try to keep the engine temp down. I never had any issue; the car never entered "overheat protection mode" thereby becoming temporarily un-drivable for 15-20 minutes in order to cool itself off.

So, after the initial error, I drove an additional 30 miles to reach the destination, without a single problem. And then parked the car at the destination for around 5 hours, before driving 90 miles back home, again without a single problem. In fact I got 56.5 MPG for the day, so the car was obviously not limping in any respect.

What is interesting, is that all the warning lights on the dash became un-lit, as if by magic, right before starting my return trip. Again, the lights were the Red Triangle, CEL, Red Car With Exclamation in the MFD. (And also the Circle Exclamation and VSC lights, originally, but these disappeared immediately the first time I shut down/restarted the Prius.) Now the dashboard looks perfect - nothing lit up. I didn't even clear the OBD2 fault codes in Torque to cause this; the Prius automatically removed all warning lights by itself.

So, now what? Why did the warning lights go dark? Does this provide further evidence as to what the actual problem might be?

psymon100 and fotomoto like this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When the Prius is READY, look for fluid turbulence in the inverter fluid reservoir which is proof the inverter pump is working. If you do not see this then have the pump replaced immediately.

The lights turning off may be indicative that the pump failed intermittently.

Metrolens likes this.
  8. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Patrick. I checked for turbulence in the inverter fluid reservoir in READY, and could see no movement whatsoever in the pink fluid, besides slight vibrations which I would say were coming from the running of the ICE.

Is this proof the pump is dead? And if so, how much should it be to have it replaced? (I don't think I will be able to do it DIY.)

Furthermore: looking back through my paperwork, I see that the Inverter pump was last replaced in Jan 2011 under a Toyota recall, when the car had 39k miles on it. My car now has 132k miles on it. Just adding this info to the mix.

Also of possible interest, I had recently gotten two P1121 error codes, which is indication that a Coolant Control Valve is stuck (or dead). I simply cleared these codes using my OBD2, but is it likely they were related to what happened, and pointing to a problem with the inverter pump?

#8 Metrolens, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
  9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    YES!
    97K miles is close enough to 100K miles. Just change it and be done.

When you hit 150K miles/15years, both engine and inverter cooling loops need to be DRAIN and FILLED.
    I would get the 3-way coolant control valve replaced then. The one draw back of waiting so long is you may not have cabin heat, if this valve is stuck in the wrong position.

You need to makes some calls and ask. Labor rates are all over the place just like real estate. $500K might get you a condo in an ok area in LA County. $500K in the mid-West/South, will get you a mansion on acres.

The shop will likely pinch off the hoses, resulting in minimal coolant loss (a few ounces: 1-5oz). They will try to charge you for a gallon of coolant which is absurd. Supply your own Toyota SLLC coolant and have them top off with that.

#9 exstudent, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Metrolens likes this.
  10. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm now considering doing the repair myself. Remaining questions:

Ordered an OEM pump on Amazon for $70 shipped, this one:

Would one set of these hose clamps/pliers be sufficient?

What lube should I use in case the hoses won't pull free of the old pump?

What size vinyl tube should I get to bleed from the valve back into the coolant tank?

Lastly, is it even necessary to drain the coolant first? That step is not performed in this video - which makes the entire procedure seem so easy:

#10 Metrolens, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It was a tight fit but here's the way I did it. Sorry, I don't have pics which would easily explain my method.

Removed the front inverter mount bracket, used a small pry bar under the front lip to gently raise the inverter enough to wedge a small block of wood between the lip and the upper radiator support (IIRC) for better access to the pump/hoses. Remove pump bolts and lift pump up to get at hose clamps which also makes coolant flow back away from the pump. Used vice grips to close off the hoses (spilled maybe an ounce or two) while replacing pump. Took about 45 minutes working slowly.

Metrolens likes this.
  12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would get something like this, $16.
    upload_2019-5-29_10-56-56.png
    Longer handle = better leverage.
    Ratcheting locking mechanism = as you squeeze, it locks. Squeeze again and flip the lock mechanism the other way to unlock.
    Yeah, the fakes of these on Amazon are a little cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

You don't use lube to remove or put on. You should apply a little bit of coolant (old or new) onto the inside of the hoses and the new mounting spot on the new pump. The coolant will act as a "lubricant" to help get the hoses on.

There is a hose tool that has a small point (straight or 90degree). Some people use this to help "break" the seal, by inserting the point and going around the circumference.

I was able to use channel locks and CAREFULLY work the hose off the pump ends.

Get calipers to measure. Or coins to see which is close to the diameter. Or piece of paper against the opening and draw the circumference w/ a felt pen/sharpie.

You will want to get a flexible hose clamp cable pliers. It makes life easy to remove the clamp on hoses.
    This set from Amazon is actually very good b/c it has everything, $47! Even the pointed hose seal breaker tool (straight point and 90degree).

Metrolens and JC91006 like this.