1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A93 Code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Nathan Luu, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Nathan Luu

Nathan Luu New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi all,

My 2009 Prius suddenly got the big red triangle with exclamation and check engine light (CEL) on along with the MFD warning ( red car with exclamation point) the other day when my wife was driving the vehicle. She told me the signs just appeared out of nowhere. I took the vehicle out to AutoZone and have them read the code and P0A93 is the DTC code. I did a little research here on the forum and it’s about the inverter coolant pump if I’m correct. I checked out some Youtube videos and it looked like I can attempt to do a DIY, mind that I am not a mechanic or have any experiences in repairing cars. It’s just after checking the videos out, it looks so easy and simple.

My question is where can I purchase the part (high quality from a reputable seller). And in case if I can’t do it myself, any folks here live in Los Angeles county can point me to a reputable mechanic? I live in far East of Los Angeles county, in La Puente.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Dios de la Nada

Dios de la Nada New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello, I hope you got your car fixed alright! I am having the same issue, as of today. Did it turn out to be the inverter coolant pump?

3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check on Amazon. They got good stuff supplied by sellers there. Or get to any Toyota dealership near you.
    Its something easy you can do.
    Remove the left headlamp, and you would access it easily.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We just did it a few months back. I bought the Amazon pump.
    I tried DIY but got stuck trying to get headlight out, so took it to my service shop who has a guy used to be with Toyota. He charged me $275 or so for labor.

We here figure 80-100k life on those pumps.

5. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    pretty simple to replace yourself

a lot of pumps show up on ebay and amazon with the old (defective) part number, check with the dealer to get the replacement part number

Skibob likes this.
  6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did the Amazon pump work? You bought the pump new or?

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes fine, link below. As per the one negative comment, you can hear it a little more when you are outside the car in the garage, but my wife has not noticed anything. I am not familiar with the comment above that some are defective, so I do not know about that.

8. Dios de la Nada

Dios de la Nada New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Someone broke my windows, long story. I went to replace windows and they left it on electric only during installation, which drained the battery. Lots of things were flashing, including the triangle. They jump started it and it went away.

Everything seemed fine but then the light came on 30 minutes later on the freeway.

I ran car diagnostic on battery, 12.4v electric only, 14.4v gas engine on. Nothing looks physically tampered with on auxiliary

Then I checked with autozone's scanners and it read the P0A93 code twice.

I am baffled as to why it happened after my window replacements and not before.

I was considering removing a battery clamp to reset system, just to see if the system will pick it up again. Any advice?

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I mean it sounds like Inverter Coolant Pump is bad...ours went out on the I-495 Capital Beltway