1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A93 Cooling system performance - How to know if Toyota service was done?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RampagingCincy, Aug 12, 2017.

1. RampagingCincy

RampagingCincy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've read through several threads about the P0A93 cooling system error code to educate myself before spending money on a repair.

Main question I have: How do I know that the coolant pump in my car was ever replaced?

- 2005 Prius that I bought from a Toyota dealer in Jan 2016 with 120K miles.
    - CarFax makes no mention of coolant pump. Only water pump?
    - Almost every repair was done at Toyota dealers before I purchased it, so I find it hard to imagine they never replaced the coolant pump.
    - Toyota owners website tells me no recalls on my VIN, which is good but this issue wasn't a recall anyway.

Today the car has 143K miles.
    The red triangle of death, check engine, and VSC lights came on at first (middle of a sunny 85-degree day). Now I only get Maint Reqd while running driving up to 20 miles in morning/evening.
    Codes checked while red triangle was showing and again after it went away: both times we get the P0A93.
    I didn't know to check the 12V battery, so not sure what it reads.

Checking the coolant reservoir, there is no movement in the liquid after starting car or running the A/C. There is that light humming sound and coolant gets warmer while running car.

From other threads, this sounds like the coolant pump is either dead or line is clogged with air or foreign object.

Does this sound about right? Would the re-designed coolant pump fail after ~100K miles of use?

Thank you,
    Jason

2. Travis Decker

Travis Decker Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Needs inverter pump. Pretty cut and dry. Or fuse is blown (but that would be caused by a pump drawing too much current)

m.wynn likes this.
  3. RampagingCincy

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a relief since it initially looked like the HV battery, which probably will be an issue if this goes unrepaired.

Just saw that the pump should be replaced every 100K miles so that makes sense as well.

4. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Don't keep driving it with a failed inverter pump, you will have an expensive repair bill.

5. RampagingCincy

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Naturally, I'm quite eager to have this fixed, and a little surprised since I've been getting regular maintenance done. The Toyota shop looked at the red triangle of death and expressed zero concern about me driving the car to work and back home, etc. Even if I were willing to pay $98 for the privilege, they didn't have time to scan the codes to find out how serious the issue is. I'll take it to my regular neighborhood shop instead.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When your car is hot with a failed inverter pump, your ac will not blow cold air until the car cools

m.wynn likes this.
  7. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There is no routine maintenance that would involve the inverter pump, you could check for fluid movement is about the easiest. The pump generally will work til it doesn't and you become more acquainted with it.

That Toyota "shop" (not dealership?) dropped the ball, any red triangle needs more than passing attention to determine the reason for it lighting up.

There are a number of Youtube videos showing you how to replace it, for <$100 you could do it yourself.