1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0a93 engine code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by b_large, Sep 14, 2010.

1. b_large

b_large New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First off I LOVE MY PRIUS!!! I have a few issues this year. Back in April I had all the fluids replaced, new water pump, new spark plugs, water valve assy, and several other maint. items.

I am now getting a p0a93 check engine light which means inverter coolant performance. Nothing has changed with the cars performance.

But I have noticed after searching the forums this could be an issue with air bubbles in the coolant lines.
    My question is could this take 11,000 miles to show up? That is what I forgot to mention the maint was done at 166k and I now have 177k.

And as I am writing this in the Auto Zone parking lot where I just got it checked the light has went off and hasn't came back.

So super prius brains what do you think? By the way I also LOVE PRIUSCHAT. You all are some of the best people around. You all are awesome!!!

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps the autozone people turned off your light after checking for codes. I suppose the air could have gotten trapped for that long, it wouldn't surprise me. Also is your 12v. battery the original? That would be a suspect in this case.

1 person likes this.
  3. b_large

b_large New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nah they didn't delete it unless the it waits for the car to turn off and back on.
    Do you think Dealership will cover fix if it is an air bubble?
    You know the battery was my first inclination. I remember searching on here before about engine codes and seeing that the battery can cause some funky issues. Guess I will go have my battery checked.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is likely that the inverter coolant pump failed. I suggest that you check this yourself:

1. Make the car IG-ON (press POWER button 2x from IG-OFF, without depressing the brake pedal) so that the instrument panel warning lights are on

2. Open the hood and find the inverter coolant pump behind the driver's side headlamp assembly. Listen to its sound, which is like an aquarium pump. You should not hear air bubbles.

3. Look at the inverter coolant reservoir, for fluid turbulence which shows the pump is working and that you don't have air in the system. You might need to open the cap to look inside.

If the pump is not working, it needs to be replaced.

Gwyneth, PriusFruit and b_large like this.
  5. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I changed my inverter pump, heat storage pump and had all new fluids put in at 205,000 and today at 209,000 my water pump was found leaking and there was "trash" on the inverter plug drain. See my http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/82173-200k-miles-one-prius-one-owner.html post for more details.

So, having had "trash" appear and air buildup in the system in the last 4,000 miles it could take 11,000 miles to show up. Patrick is one of the MOST knowledgible people on this forum so I would follow his advice. It most likely is your Inverter Pump or "Trash" or air in the system.

I would have it checked out ASAP because an Inverter issue could get expensive quick.

Happy driving,
    Chris

1 person likes this.
  6. b_large

b_large New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to keep you all hanging. Well on my way home my dash lit up like a christmas tree. Brakes didn't fail, but it was hard to stop. Turned the car off and restarted. I was on the interstate just a little ways away from my exit so I got off and everything worked fine no Engine codes or anything. As I am turning it happens again this time add power steering. I restarted again, probably cause I am slightly stupid, I got about a quarter of a mile and it happened again. This time I pulled off and put on my emergency signals. It was then that I looked up and everytime my emergency lights would come on the interior lights would dim this is when I KNEW that it was the battery. Parked my car for a minute and drove nearby to where my wife works and took her car to my local toyota dealership, picked up a new battery and replaced it. By the way not the easiest battery replacement in the world. I am on day two of the battery fix and am happy to report no problems!!!

THANK YOU to all who gave responses and to all whose posts I have searched and read about this issue.

And if you are getting this post from a search try the battery first!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. JuanGimenezpy

JuanGimenezpy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Good morning !
    Please I need your help to solve the problem of my Toyota Prius car in 2008. The car is cold while working well for a maximum time of 1 hour, the first symptom is to stop the air conditioner to cool, then turn on the light triangle warning, after driving a little longer for the vehicle and no more moves. If you wait until the vehicle returns to work for a few minutes to cool, then everything fails again with the same symptoms. And you change the battery 12 Volt, and you change the water pump hybrid system and I can not solve! Please I ask you to help me to run my car .... thank you very much!

Violetnicoleee likes this.
  8. WorldSpy

WorldSpy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the same error code showing up, P0a93. Toyota however replaced the Inverter Water Pump already back in 2012 as part of their voluntary recall. Is it normal for it to last only 4-years? What I find interesting is that if I clear the error code with my OBD-II, it only comes back if I take the Prius out on the expressway. I can drive it around town all day without an issue but as soon as I drive over 50 for a while I once again get the red triangle of death and the check engine light. If I clear the error while driving fast it comes back within a few seconds but if I slow down and clear it, it stays off.

Is it possible I have something wrong other than an Inverter Water Pump? Wouldn't a failed water pump fail no matter what speed you were going? Any ideas?

9. Ndela020

Ndela020 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Hi WorldSpy! Did you ever figure this out?? I have a 2007 prius having the same issue. Every time I drive on the expressway, all these light flash on but go away after about 2 days or if I turn the car off and on a few times throughout the day.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your inverter pump has failed. Lights come on when car is hot, turns off when it cools.

When the car is hot and lights are on, your ac cooling functions will be gone too

11. Mike___

Mike___ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same issue as WorldSpy and had the worthless pump replaced (waist of $800+) but ONLY when I drive on the freeway the dreaded warring "Hybrid system overheat. Output power is limited" If I keep driving much further (about 0.5 miles or less) the check engine light will come on with a warning that says "check hybrid system - stop the vehicle in a - safe place immediately" So it was obviously not the pump. The Toyota dealer replaced the hybrid cooling system fluid a few months back and the very next day this all started happening and replacing the hybrid cooling pump from error code P0A93 did not help.

Any ideas? Could it seriously be the 12 volt battery causing this issue? I have not had any problems that would indicate a battery going bad.

Thanks for your help!