1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A93 (Inverter Cooling Impaired) - Round 2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HTMLSpinnr, Mar 15, 2013.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My (wife's) 2004 Prius is now at 126.1k miles at over 9 years old. June 30, 2008, I experienced an inverter pump failure (see Red Triangle + Many lights + Denial = bad mojo (kinda long) | PriusChat). Had it replaced at my own expense, and was eventually reimbursed by TMS under the Service Campaign.

My wife doesn't drive much. In fact, I'd argue that the car hasn't gone more than 500 miles in the past year. Yesterday, my wife was taking a reasonably short trip on a record heat (for March) day near Phoenix. Regrettably, she received a master caution and CEL, and lost air-conditioning output. She called me to explain the symptoms and I immediately suspected the pump. Sure enough, on her way home, ABS and VSC also illuminated. She made it home w/o the car shutting completely down.

I connected my ScanGauge II last night and pulled the code to validate. This morning, I started the car and checked for pump activity - it's dead as a doornail.

I'll be taking the car in today to have it repaired, as well as two other outstanding service campaigns. Any bets on whether Toyota will cover the same repair twice?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the car's service record is complete in the Toyota database, then my guess is that you will be required to pay for the inverter pump replacement.

HTMLSpinnr likes this.
  3. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    At this rate, they're going to attempt to cover it under the warranty extension clause (good through Nov 2013). I confirmed this was possible when calling Toyota Customer Care, and the dealer's Service Adviser confirmed the same.

Because I'm also having C0T (steering shaft) and 90L (gas pedal) performed, I secured a loaner.

4. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    While the dealer did try, Toyota is claiming they've met the obligation of the Service Campaign by reimbursing me for the June 2008 repair, despite the failure happening prior to the campaign. Including a $60 5k mile service, the total came to just under $400 w/ a 15% off "mature vehicle" coupon. The weekend rental of the Toyota Sienna was covered due to the other campaigns.

I'm not sure why Toyota Customer Care would state that there's a warranty enhancement, then deny the coverage, unless the person I spoke with was mis-informed.

I'll look at the part a bit more closely, however it would seem that the previous part was the revised unit (silver base). If those parts are failing, it's fair to suggest that in my climate, that they could fail on average every 4-5 years, regardless of mileage.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The silver base is meaningless, despite what you may have seen on the Luscious Garage website. Don't let the presence of that base make you think that a given part is up level. The original pump in my 2004 had a silver base.

The first replacement inverter pump in my 2004 failed after a relatively short time as well, which I earlier posted about.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This definitely isn't the first time, but it is pretty annoying to hear that these revised inverter pumps apparently don't last that long. I asked to have mine replaced under LSC A0N long ago which makes me ineligible for C0U. :( Maybe I should've waited until the last minute until right before LSC A0N expiration?

So, if my current pump fails, it seems I'm going to be out $300 to $400.

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or do the replacement yourself.

8. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My cost after 15% "Mature Vehicle" coupon was $316.02 before tax. Adding the 5k service/oil change (and consider the "free use" of the Sienna for the weekend), and sales tax, the total bill was $394.52.

Before discounts, Water pump is $129.98, and a gallon of SLLC ran $21.81. I don't see the coolant drain gasket on the list. Labor was $220 w/ no precise time listed. After-the-fact, it looks like they didn't bill the standard 1.2 hours for this job stated in the LSC, but rather what appears to be 2 hours at $110/hr :-/

Compared to the first time, this ran significantly cheaper. The Scottsdale dealer in 2008 was $2 cheaper on coolant and $5 cheaper on the pump, but $110 more expensive on the labor ($330 vs. $220), with a grand total of $471 and change. Thus, if I had to pick which TMS decided to reimburse, I'm kinda glad it was that one.

In fairness, the original 2008 invoice did NOT have a "G" prefix in the replacement part number, so it's quite likely that the first replacement wasn't the updated type. I didn't receive the faulty part in return this time (my failure to ask for it ahead of time), so Patrick's point on the base color has merit.

Either way, I considered self-replacement (the part is easy to reach). Already had the coolant, so just needed a part. I was a tad intimidated about bleeding the coolant loop of air though, and decided to let them handle it. Now re-reading the tech how-to, this wasn't a hard job, other than the inability to pressure-test the loop (no pump).

They did try to upsell me on several other services, some of which I had recently completed myself. I declined all. These included:
    • Replace Spark Plugs - I did those 1k miles ago.
    • Service Transmission Fluid (I did one at 60k, should do another). This one surprised me in a good way. Either they see profit in this, or they've gotten smart that WS fluid isn't lifetime. Probably both.
    • Cabin Air filter. This one was legit - Mice had entered the vent and built a nest in there. Sadly, they did chew the edge of the fresh/recirc damper a tad, leaving a ~3x20mm gap at one edge. Did that myself. They left the glove compartment disassembled and advised I don't run A/C until it was cleared. First thing I did when I got home.
    • License plate bulb - it flickers. I'll do it myself for $5 in parts and a few minutes pulling off the rear hatch cover.