1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A93 Inverter Water Pump no flow but pump running

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by daveyedgar, Nov 12, 2021.

1. daveyedgar

daveyedgar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2008 Gen 2 base, I can both feel and hear the pump running, but there is no flow or "gurgle" when looking in the reservoir, my inverter temps are running higher than usual.

I've already replaced it about 7 years ago (oem) and again about 5 months ago (dorman).

I flushed the system and bled it correctly as far as I know.

any thoughts?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Dorman is a big problem. If it's working properly, you should see flow when you open the reservoir cap while the car is in READY mode.

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. daveyedgar

daveyedgar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ya I was ashamed to admit I put a dorman in there, I didn't know what I was thinking.

Has anyone experienced the pump running with no flow? Would it still be the pump?
    Has anyone ever experienced a blockage in the system with a good pump?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes there has a been a few posts with clogged inverter coolant loops channels in the aluminum heatsink/cooling radiator. There are many very small cooling channels in the aluminum radiator under the inverter which is then routed in and out of the transmission then to the bottom half of the ICE radiator. Poor or no inverter coolant maintenance will cause this.Please post the cars miles.

I refer you to Prof Weber of the Weber University You tube channel where they do a very good disassemble of the Prius G2/G3/G4.
    Good video of this cooling system:

Spartacus and prius8654 like this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It would be neat if he were named after the university, or the university were named after him, but I'm pretty sure that's Prof. Kelly.

prius8654 likes this.
  6. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The pump could be running but if the impeller is damaged there would be way less flow.

Spartacus likes this.
  7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have read about pumps that make noise but don't circulate. Could be something's clogged. Could be air pockets. Could be a bad pump. Also have read about aftermarket pumps that would work fine, then sometimes wouldn't.

I liked Dorman 40 years ago when my dad took me to get something at the auto parts store and one entire wall was devoted to racks of Dorman hardware assortments. Good products and they had almost anything pertaining to hardware or fittings.

I haven't liked Dorman for 15-20 years. The CONCEPT of what they have been doing is nice (providing economical repair solutions to pattern failures), but the implementation (ie- quality) of that concept is crap. I consider the brand as a "last resort" option.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#7 mr_guy_mann, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    Spartacus and prius8654 like this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Some of my scooters and motorcycles use the same type of water pump that's in my inverter pump on my Gen 2 which I just got the code on a few days ago and I'm going to put in the new one I don't feel the pump vibrating or humming and of course naturally don't see any water moving if I unplug one of the hoses from the pump water will clearly run out fast like it's not being held up and fill up a little jug so we'll put the new pump in and everything should be back to normal it's not really gotten really hot maybe 135° I can touch it and not move my hand away very quickly at all

SM-A715F ?

9. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Were both for preventative maintenance?

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No when I first got the car about 13 months ago right after I drove away from the man's house about 2 days later I got to code for the pump I think the AM2 fuse was blown I replaced it while looking around I noticed the plug on the fender mounted pump looked horrible so I just went ahead and ordered a new pump cut the plug off of another pump wiring that I had splice that into the Prius put in the new pump I just changed the battery I don't know about a week ago drove the car for 2 days and then got the code again for the pump The AM2 fuses good the plug on the pump looks great The hoses are dead cold the bottom of the inverters warm no water is moving and I don't hear the pump sometimes I do hear the pump but still no water moving I unplugged one of the hoses in the coolant runs out fast so I plug the hose back up and put the coolant back in I've ordered another pump I'll change it when it gets here it's cold outside so for the inverter to get any kind of warm or hot takes a long time in 40° weather or it seems like it does since I've cleared the code when it was in the upper 60s it's dropped into the 40s and the code is not come back but I also know the pump isn't running for the most part

SM-A715F ?

SFO likes this.
  11. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @Tombukt2 did you get the oem replacement? How much was that if you dont mind me asking?

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No never in a million years would I buy a denso replacement once you know about these things that's not something you do This exact same water pump is used on several other items and devices that I own You can buy pumps like this anywhere from $12 to $300 for the exact same part I have four of them laying on the bench here that go from $18 to over $300 they all look exactly the same they're sealed the hose positions are the same everything The plastic even looks the same The super cheap ones aren't as shiny so the plastic is lesser but believe me the plastic is the least of the problem usually the motor fails overheats melts the plug possibly etc This also happens on the other devices that these pumps are mounted to so they all fail similarly I shoot for the $40 price range for what you're buying here that's about right A hundred is pushing it over $100 is stupid in my opinion an electrical part like this is going to fail when it fails 12 months 12 years 18 years whatever that is That's how electrical parts fail they just fail it's hard to put a number on it

SM-A715F ?

13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Soon as I plugged up new water pump for inverter it took off running. Old aftermarket unit had a lot of slop in impeller. Made like a wash machine drain pump be no seal or shaft penetrating case

SM-A715F ?