1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A93. P1121. P1116

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusPaddler, Apr 28, 2023.

1. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can someone help me understand how these three codes might be related? I replaced the inverter water pump maybe eighteen months ago. Then on a long road trip in early april, I was getting the P0A93 and the p1121.

( 2009 280k)

Dealer said the inverter water pump was bad again. I used the Autozone lifetime warranty to get a new part and had the same guy replace the pump again in my car.

A few weeks later I decided to just double check the codes in advance of a road trip. I had no symptoms but saw that I have two codes.

Now P1121 again plus P1116.

I'm sure all are related somehow. And i've read previous threads about replacing the 3 way coolant control valve.

I just want to make sure i'm not missing something before I go ahead and do that.

Is there anything that could have happened while replacing the inverter water pump that would now cause the p1116?

Also curious if it really was the inverter water pump before. Dealer said attaching the computer they could not turn the pump on so I assume it indeed failed. In the 18 months the autozone part was in the car, I think I put on maybe forty thousand miles.

Looking to replace with this unless there's some other issue I should consider:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/dorman-oe-solutions/dorman-oe-solutions-coolant-control-valve/doe0/601021/v/a/30214/automotive-car-2009-toyota-prius?q=coolant+flow+control+valve&pos=0

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The coolant control valve and the inverter water pump are functionally unrelated; the control valve is part of the engine cooling system, and the inverter water pump is for the inverter cooling system, and those systems are separate and independent.

That said, that valve and that pump happen to be physically mounted pretty close to one another, so it's possible somebody doing work on one of them could bump the connector on the other one, etc.

3. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Could bumping the valve cause the code?

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Both of those failures are very common for older Gen 2s. If the electrical connectors are tight, it's very likely just coincidence. I've repalced several inverter water cooling pumps. I gain access to the pump by removing the driver headlight. Never, have I been close to "hitting" or even rubbing the control valve being discussed.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you use aftermarket parts, you will likely be (re)-replacing them again in the near future. The experience of most on this forum is that genuine Toyota parts are the most reliable.

The inverter pump and the 3-way coolant valve are common faults on a Gen2 Prius.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#5 mr_guy_mann, Apr 30, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2023