1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A94 code DC to DC converter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by john elliott, Jul 22, 2022.

1. john elliott

john elliott Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    do i need to update the version of techstream I am using?

2. john elliott

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Through pure luck and trying this too many times I was able to get the car on, with dash lights and a decent battery charge and I still cannot get techstream to go into active test mode on the one for inverter stop. I think there was another version of techstream. Any other thoughts?

3. john elliott

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Im using windows xp, 32 bit and TS version 15. Is there a better version that might be more functional?

4. john elliott

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It seems like others have had trouble doing active tests in Techstream. Can anyone guide me to a better version, or some further info on this?

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any version of TechStream from version 7.xx.xxx onwards should be just fine. I don't think the version is your issue. I don't have any experience in this particular area not having had any issues with my inverter, so cannot offer any specific advice on running the active tests.

6. john elliott

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Does anyone have any experience in successfully conducting an active test using a knock off version of techstream? Perhaps I should pay the $65 for a 2 day authorization to use Techstream from Toyota?

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most of what I have heard about Techstream problems seems to be centered around the quality of the OBD2 cable.

ChapmanF had reported that he was unable to complete a brake bleed sequence with a "knock off" 3rd party cable. He purchased a better cable from Open Tactrix and had no further problems.

The cables sold with TS on amazon or ebay are clones of clones of the "original"(?) XHorse MVCI cable. Some folk have no problems, some can't do any active tests or bidirectional controls. I think there are different versions of these cables out there?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think there are both: design differences between the capabilities of different dongles (say, between a Mini VCI and an Openport), and also sample differences (quality-assurance goofs) between different units of the super-cheap dongles like the Mini VCI.

So there might be certain operations that always work better on the one brand of dongle than the other, and also certain things that work fine for somebody else with a Mini VCI but don't work with your Mini VCI (but might work if you went and bought another Mini VCI). The Drew Technologies Mongoose Pro is the one Toyota stands behind and says it can do all the things, but that one's close to $500.

On my Gen 3, my Mini VCI won't even show me the engine Data List, and it won't get all the way through a brake bleed more than about one time in six. My Openport does those things just fine. But the Openport won't quite complete some TPMS operations, like re-registering transmitter IDs—they end up showing as registered, but the light's still on—and my Mini VCI will. Go figure.

I think there've been more than a couple Gen 2 things that I wasn't able to complete with the Openport, but was with the Mini VCI. So I end up making sure to bring both, any time I'm going to work on a Gen 2.

9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Another option is one of the OBD2 devices and apps from the sticky thread at the top of the Technical Discussion thread. Both the ThinkDiag+ and the AnyScan have a "forced inverter stop" function on the Hybrid Control menu.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. john elliott

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Can I get an opinion on this complicated question?

I have error code P0A94 with subcode 555. Im going to attach the troubleshooting guide that one of you gave me to make sure I'm doing this right and ask this question.

According to the first page of the attached I can just put the above code in and I'm moving on down that sheet to the next page. On the next page it's having me look up the DTC again and the subcode and plug that into the chart starting on line e.

P0A94-555 equals DC/DC converter malfunction.

When I go below that chart there is a yes or no arrow.

The "yes" arrow says "Go to DTC Chart (See page 05-440). Find a page number to proceed to its diagnostic troubleshooting flowchart.

The "no" arrow puts you through the diagnostics for the inverter, the motor, the generator, the transaxle and the hv ecu.

HERE'S THE ACTUAL QUESTION: Do I have a yes or a no to this question. If I have a yes Im supposed to get the diagnostic flow chart......but isn't this the diagnostic flow chart already? If it's a no, then I follow the chart to diagnose what this issue is?

Is there another diagnostic flow chart for P0A94-555?

11. john elliott

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sorry, here's the file:

Attached Files:

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, that troubleshooting procedure seems a little funny. Your attachment only had two pages (and was a preliminary 2004 release), so I looked in a 2006. It's still a little funny.

So you have the P0A94-555. So here you are on page HV-380, and you're supposed to read any DTCs you have, and if you have any that are in the accompanying table, you're supposed to go back to the DTC chart and diagnose those.

Only, they included P0A94 itself in that table. :) So if you're following along literally, you see P0A94 there, and go back to the DTC chart and look it up, and it sends you back here, and your fate is still unlearned (but your wife comes down every day at quarter past two and hands you a sandwich).

I'm hoping maybe what they really meant is that you should first go troubleshoot any of the other codes in that table, before tackling this one. And that the steps to tackle this one by itself would be the ones after the "NO" arrow.

13. john elliott

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. (BTW, I cut the page down to 2 pages for this example, and I do have the rest of it.)

14. john elliott

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    But if i have a yes at that point then can someone look this up for me: Go to DTC Chart (See page 05-440). Find a page number to proceed to its diagnostic troubleshooting flowchart for P0A94-555. If we are right that it's a yes, then the correct troubleshooting flowchart is the one I already have. (If there is something else there, then any help in getting a copy of that would be appreciated.)

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, that's exactly it. Here's a sandwich.

16. john elliott

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok, cool Thanks for walking me through that.

In light of this here's what Im thinking. From the troubleshooting I was able to accomplish the only thing I actually eliminated was a bad transaxle.

I wasn't really able to get the diagnostics for the inverter, the motor, the generator, and the hv ecu done.

In my experience and reading on the internet it would seem to me that the order of likelihood of these issues is:

1. the inverter, most likely the problem (perhaps caused by the inverter coolant pump. (It was a hot day when this failure occurred.))
    2. the hybrid vehicle ecu

3 and 4. The motor and generator. (there hasn't been any damage to the vehicle and this seems like it would be an issue more likely caused during an accident or something.)

Also, I can get a used inverter and an ECU for under $300, so Im thinking of replacing these and the coolant pump in the same order listed above. If it still doesn't work after that, I'll have to consider giving up the car. Parting it out, etc.

Do any of you have an opinion on my logic? advice on a better strategy assuming Im determined to go ahead on my own.

thanks for everyones help so far.

17. john elliott

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Success!!

I purchased a used inverter for around $250 that had some very mild assurances that it would work. I also purchased a used HV ECU for around 30 bucks and when they came in the mail and i had a few hours, I switched out the inverter. I didn't use the HV ECU....

I still need to give it a real test drive, put the windshield wipers back on and put away some tools but my car started up for the first time in several weeks with no warning lights and charged up the battery while I sat in the driveway for a few minutes.

I'll post again in a few days with a final status report. Thanks to everyone who helped with advice I really appreciate it.

john

mr_guy_mann and SFO like this.
  18. john elliott

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    One more problem. After this work was done and my car runs again and I did the final inverter coolant fill and bleed everything seems fine. I waited a day or two and I looked at the coolant and it was a bit low so I topped it off. I wondered if after the bleed of the coolant it had settled a bit or something. Then I waited a day or two and did the same (weird that it happened again.) and at that time I dropped the coolant cap on the ground and when I looked for it under the car..... I found coolant leaking.

To be clear, in the reservoir the coolant doesn't all run out, it sort of goes from being full to being low and then stops leaking....(at least when the engine isn't running.) I just drove it about 10 minutes and it was wet down below afterwards....leaking a bit, but not really lowering the level in the reservoir yet.

Im thinking that maybe it was leaking before and on that hot day when this all started there wasn't enough coolant to keep things cool and I fried the inverter.

I did replace the inverter with a used one. The refill reservoir/tank is the same one from before....I moved it from one inverter to the other. I did replace the inverter coolant pump.

The area that shows leakage seems to be located in the center of the engine when I look from below. So I'm thinking not the inverter coolant pump. I don't see leakage from the hoses that I removed from this system at or near the reservoir.

Im thinking there could be a crack in the inverter coolant fill tank/ reservoir, or maybe it's not on tight enough after I moved it over, or possibly the o ring on that bottom seal that I re-used was no longer good enough.

Is there some other place it could be leaking?

Thanks

19. john elliott

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    To be clear, the inverter reservoir shows a little below the low fluid mark, no leakage, stable for days, drives fine for short drives... Then I add fluid to bring it up to the full line. Then I look below and it's pouring out. 20 min's later it's back to a little below the low fluid mark, no leakage, maybe a bit of dripping but slowing to nothing pretty rapidly

I cannot see a leak anywhere specific....

20. john elliott

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is it safe to say that the inverter coolant reservoir is the highest place in that system? The fact that the coolant only leaks when filled to full and stops just a bit under the low fill mark indicates that it must be the reservoir cracked in the back somewhere that I cannot see it.

If it was the o ring at the bottom, it would leak out of the bottom of the reservoir until empty wouldn't it?